Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you think of a dog barking, you think of noise. Loud annoying noise. But when you come to think of it, can dogs barking be a good thing? They can warm you of intruders or people that shouldn't be around. But it can be bad, because they bark and bite family members...unless you have them trained.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I think it can be both good and bad. Good because they're warning you of danger and making their presence known to others and bad when it becomes excessive barking. Just barking for the heck of it like my neighbor's dog does.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
A dog barking (like a human talking) is neither good nor bad. It might be constructive and informative or it might be a waste of air and annoying.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't understand the general aversity to dogs barking. My friend came over and rang the doorbell once; my dogs barked at him (no growling, entire butts wagging, no hostile body language whatsoever) and now he claims my dogs are "aggressive."

I like my dogs' barks. I don't find them annoying at all. Dog barks are only annoying when they are incessant and won't shut up... but if you have them trained on a simple "quiet" cue, the problem disappears.

My dogs bark when someone is at the gate, which is good because I sometimes don't hear the doorbell from my room. They bark when they're excited, like when it's time for a walk, or when I get out their training stuff, or when they're playing with their Lab friend. And sometimes they just bark for fun. Every night while we're having dinner, Spunky will trot to the top of the stairs in my house and let out one or two "arooooo!"s. The first time Spunky bayed after undergoing surgery, my heart soared because I knew my old girl was back and everything was going to be fine.

I don't see anything wrong with dogs barking at all, as long as they know a) what is appropriate to bark at and b) when they should stop. And both those things are 100% trainable.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Both good and bad. But then I come from a barky breed. :p

If mine have something to bark about, fine and dandy. However, I have owned a dog once that barked simply for the sheer JOY of barking and hearing herself talk. Not fun at all.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'm trying to encourage Wally to bark more - with mixed results.

What IS working is that he'll bark when he needs my attention. Like earlier today there was something mostly blocking his way to get back in the house (the wind blew a lawn chair over and it blocked the path back inside) and he whined and barked to get me to move it.

I called for him, thinking he was hiding from me, then I heard him whining and barking and wagging his tail (well I didn't HEAR the tail wag, you know what I mean LOL).

He'll bark to let me know he's at the door to my room. Sometimes he'll bark to go out if he has to go like yesterday.

But it's really hard just to get him to bark just for having fun or as a trick. He even sounds mildly annoyed sometimes :eek: :D

I like to hear his barks. I guess it was because for like six months he didn't make a sound at all, then he just one day barked and kept doing it.

Overall, I don't mind dog barking. I just take it as what dogs do. Birds chirp, cats meow, dogs bark.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Butch will sometimes bark outside just to be barking. I let him for a little while, because he is a dog. But when it becomes annoying to me, I make him stop. Roxxy is not so bad, she'll run outside barking but if I don't show an interest she will usually stop.

If we are all in the bedroom and they bark, I pay attention to how they sound and if they go outside. Many times they are my "early warning system" letting me know someone is coming to the door.

The time it is VERY bad is in the middle of the night from right beside me in bed. I am not a nice person when wakened up in the middle of the night and I get quite ugly with them. It doesn't happen often but it about makes me wet the bed when Roxxy does it. :eek: I know she thinks she hears something but d#mn that's way to early to be waking mama up! :mad:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like a warning bark when someone comes to the door. What I DON'T like is 5 minutes of barking after the person has came into the house and is sitting on the couch.

I don't like barking when someone walks down the street, or when someone is in their backyard grilling.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of barking Lucy does.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Holly isn't much of a barker. She will alert me, with several different barks, as to who is at the door. But other than that, that's pretty much it.

Shadow.... very rarely will you get a peep out of her unless she interacting with other dogs. She's very vocal when she's around other dogs she doesn't know. But other than that... she isn't a barker at all.

J.C. on the other hand, is very talkative. He always has something to say it seems. He barks out of excitement though and we're making great progress with calming him down. I don't mind barking, it's just sometimes when they need to go out at 2a.m. he can be a little too loud. I appreciate him barking to let me know he needs to go out and sometimes it's fun to be outside and to be as loud as we want.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ruby rarely barks.

She doesn't bark at any of the "normal" stuff - people at the door, people walking by when she is on the balcony, other dogs whether they are barking or not, or generally for my attention.

The only times she will generally bark is when she is playing with my neighbors dog (which is fine) and in the evening when she wants my attention.

That barking I don't like. She gives one bark and it is so loud and high pitched that I jump even when I know it is coming. She knows exactly what it does as well, because afterwards she will put her head to one side and looks at me like "so... what you gonna do now?" :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts