Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has recently started barking at night. He is a border collie/blue heeler cross, so he is rather high energy, but we live on an acreage and he spends about ten hours a day outside sprinting around his "territory" or hunting for mice, so he has plenty of opportunity to exercise. About a week ago, he started barking at random points in the night and won't stop by himself. He sleeps in the garage where windows let in light from our exterior house lights, but he seems totally capable of sleeping in broad daylight so I don't know if this is an issue. We live in the country so there are night sounds like other dogs barking, coyotes howling and cows bellowing, but these things rarely caused him to bark in the past. I would be fine to let him "bark it out", but there are other people in our house who need to get up early so need to sleep without interruption. I am tired of getting up nightly to take him out to use the washroom, which often helps, and was wondering if there is a way to prevent him from beginning to bark in the first place.
Any help would be great!

·
Banned
242 Posts
How old is He? Age might cause a change. I'd suggest a vet visit too, a sudden cause in behavior is cause for concern.

Otheriwse, do your best to tucker him out right before bed. even if he is out all day, a sprint or ball paired with a dog puzzle toy to tire the brain and body might help.

Get multiple toys, I'd suggest a kong, and for other options just go on amazon and search "puzzle dog toy". For a extra level of difficulty, freeze things inside stuffed type toys. For puzzle toys, you want to stick to something dry, I notice my dog does a lot of licking at the puzzles and it gets gross. Snuffle mats are also great for meals with a high energy breed. All of these ideas will tire both mind and body , perfect to settle down and sleep like a rock.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My dog has recently started barking at night. He is a border collie/blue heeler cross, so he is rather high energy, but we live on an acreage and he spends about ten hours a day outside sprinting around his "territory" or hunting for mice, so he has plenty of opportunity to exercise. About a week ago, he started barking at random points in the night and won't stop by himself. He sleeps in the garage where windows let in light from our exterior house lights, but he seems totally capable of sleeping in broad daylight so I don't know if this is an issue. We live in the country so there are night sounds like other dogs barking, coyotes howling and cows bellowing, but these things rarely caused him to bark in the past. I would be fine to let him "bark it out", but there are other people in our house who need to get up early so need to sleep without interruption. I am tired of getting up nightly to take him out to use the washroom, which often helps, and was wondering if there is a way to prevent him from beginning to bark in the first place.
Any help would be great!
Is there a reason he must sleep in the garage?

How old is he?

·
Banned
242 Posts
^ not everybody has the same ideals.

My dogs sleep in the garage in their kennels as well. There is ac and heat.. I don't see a problem?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
^ not everybody has the same ideals.

My dogs sleep in the garage in their kennels as well. There is ac and heat.. I don't see a problem?
There was no accusation in my question. If it's not necessary for the dog to sleep in the garage, then the solution may involve changing the sleeping arrangements. If it's necessary for the dog to sleep in the garage, then a different solution would be needed. Sometimes dogs need confinement for their own safety or a strong logistical reason, and a garage may be the most practical space.

There is no need to make this thread about you. That said, why are your dogs crated AND in a garage?

·
Banned
242 Posts
Because thats where their crates fit in my tiny house.

seems like you love to accuse, so i was just making sure

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would simply use a bark collar. You can choose one that is electronic or you can use one that sprays or has a tone. I use an electronic bark collar.. and the setting is appropriate. The dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on. Barking is a privilege, not a right! The more a dog barks, the more the dog self rewards and barks more.

I have used the collar to silence a dog that is in a kennel with neighbors around while I was at work. I have used the collar at night for a dog that is kept in a kennel (indoors) at night. Most dogs learn to shut the collar off.

I know people here malign me for using this device, but it is necessary to have a dog silent at training (often dogs will start barking when they hear other dogs working in the Protection Phase of the sport I do). The neighbors do not appreciate the dogs barking in cars and the dog can burn through a LOT of energy reducing their ability to learn and perform when it is their turn on the field to train. I also could not afford to have Animal Control coming to the house threatening to remove my dogs because of nuisance barking in an outside kennel. I worked 11-12 hour days and an outside kennel was necessary as it allowed the dog to pee and poop if necessary. Dogs had insulated dog houses.

I also was maligned for having dogs in outdoor kennels (this is much more rare now as I am retired). I had a walk out basement at one time and had a kennel there for bad weather. I still have a similar set up now (two indoor full size kennels in the basement should I need them). I have had crates in the garage. There is NOTHING wrong with keeping a dog in a crate at night in a garage that is climate controlled. It is no different than having the dog in a crate in a room in the house. It sounds to me like your dog has a pretty darn good life.

·
Banned
242 Posts
I'd love to have some outdoor runs! My damned dogs scale the fence and I'd like to leave em outside.

I keep the crates in the garage that's climate controlled, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see treating dogs as dogs as abuse <.< people are way to sensitve

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I would simply use a bark collar. You can choose one that is electronic or you can use one that sprays or has a tone. I use an electronic bark collar.. and the setting is appropriate. The dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on. Barking is a privilege, not a right! The more a dog barks, the more the dog self rewards and barks more.

I have used the collar to silence a dog that is in a kennel with neighbors around while I was at work. I have used the collar at night for a dog that is kept in a kennel (indoors) at night. Most dogs learn to shut the collar off.
Isn't the use of a shock collar typically something that requires the guidance of a professional who is experienced with their correct use, and also knows the signs of detriment / fallout / damage to watch out for ?

I guess disclaimers and warnings aren't necessary anymore. Just go straight to the recommendation, simply because "the dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on" and "most dogs learn to shut the collar off"..

·
Banned
242 Posts
I'd personally only ever use a water one, since there isn't any physical harm that can be caused, consindering that theres no person on the other end to use it.
I don't use one though, my dogs are all silent without any sort of extra training measures. I just tell em no.

Always remember when using a tool that there are effects that happen

I would never reccomend a bark collar, most are cheaply made with inconsistant shocks, as well as. well they shock.. e-collars stim. A whole different ballpark

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd personally only ever use a water one, since there isn't any physical harm that can be caused, consindering that theres no person on the other end to use it.
I don't use one though, my dogs are all silent without any sort of extra training measures. I just tell em no.

Always remember when using a tool that there are effects that happen

I would never reccomend a bark collar, most are cheaply made with inconsistant shocks, as well as. well they shock.. e-collars stim. A whole different ballpark
Just because there is no "PHYSICAL" harm, doesn't mean there is no emotional harm to be had. YOU should always remember when using a tool that there are 'effects that happen'.
And, I'm sorry, but a "STIM" is just a nice name for a low level shock. You can call it whatever you wish, but... "a rose by any other name" & all.... It's a correction delivered by electrical stimulation to the dog's neck.
But, yeah, you just go ahead & call it whatever makes you feel better - regardless of what the dog feels about it.

·
Banned
242 Posts
a bit of time without you around would be lovely.

If I'm the know it all, then how are you ALSO not the know it all? You're replying to my posts? No?

I didn't reply to you, or engage with you at all before you (and your know it all attitude I guess) replied to me.

Is 3GSDIPO just too good for you to reply to? Or do you just like picking on me? We piggy backed on eachother.. But you ALWAYS quote me

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Just to get back to this for a moment ...

Barking is a privilege, not a right!
No, it is neither. Barking is simply a normal function of dog behaviour. It's what dogs do. Naturally.

No different than .. cats meow, mice scurry, impalas run fast. It's what they do. Naturally.

If you see barking as "a privilege", then I'm afraid your sense of dominion over animals needs a gut check. Quite likely that your own egotism needs a bit of tweaking as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts