Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has recently started barking at night. He is a border collie/blue heeler cross, so he is rather high energy, but we live on an acreage and he spends about ten hours a day outside sprinting around his "territory" or hunting for mice, so he has plenty of opportunity to exercise. About a week ago, he started barking at random points in the night and won't stop by himself. He sleeps in the garage where windows let in light from our exterior house lights, but he seems totally capable of sleeping in broad daylight so I don't know if this is an issue. We live in the country so there are night sounds like other dogs barking, coyotes howling and cows bellowing, but these things rarely caused him to bark in the past. I would be fine to let him "bark it out", but there are other people in our house who need to get up early so need to sleep without interruption. I am tired of getting up nightly to take him out to use the washroom, which often helps, and was wondering if there is a way to prevent him from beginning to bark in the first place.
Any help would be great!

·
Registered
508 Posts
How old is He? Age might cause a change. I'd suggest a vet visit too, a sudden cause in behavior is cause for concern.

Otheriwse, do your best to tucker him out right before bed. even if he is out all day, a sprint or ball paired with a dog puzzle toy to tire the brain and body might help.

Get multiple toys, I'd suggest a kong, and for other options just go on amazon and search "puzzle dog toy". For a extra level of difficulty, freeze things inside stuffed type toys. For puzzle toys, you want to stick to something dry, I notice my dog does a lot of licking at the puzzles and it gets gross. Snuffle mats are also great for meals with a high energy breed. All of these ideas will tire both mind and body , perfect to settle down and sleep like a rock.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My dog has recently started barking at night. He is a border collie/blue heeler cross, so he is rather high energy, but we live on an acreage and he spends about ten hours a day outside sprinting around his "territory" or hunting for mice, so he has plenty of opportunity to exercise. About a week ago, he started barking at random points in the night and won't stop by himself. He sleeps in the garage where windows let in light from our exterior house lights, but he seems totally capable of sleeping in broad daylight so I don't know if this is an issue. We live in the country so there are night sounds like other dogs barking, coyotes howling and cows bellowing, but these things rarely caused him to bark in the past. I would be fine to let him "bark it out", but there are other people in our house who need to get up early so need to sleep without interruption. I am tired of getting up nightly to take him out to use the washroom, which often helps, and was wondering if there is a way to prevent him from beginning to bark in the first place.
Any help would be great!
Is there a reason he must sleep in the garage?

How old is he?

·
Registered
508 Posts
^ not everybody has the same ideals.

My dogs sleep in the garage in their kennels as well. There is ac and heat.. I don't see a problem?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
^ not everybody has the same ideals.

My dogs sleep in the garage in their kennels as well. There is ac and heat.. I don't see a problem?
There was no accusation in my question. If it's not necessary for the dog to sleep in the garage, then the solution may involve changing the sleeping arrangements. If it's necessary for the dog to sleep in the garage, then a different solution would be needed. Sometimes dogs need confinement for their own safety or a strong logistical reason, and a garage may be the most practical space.

There is no need to make this thread about you. That said, why are your dogs crated AND in a garage?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Because thats where their crates fit in my tiny house.

seems like you love to accuse, so i was just making sure

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would simply use a bark collar. You can choose one that is electronic or you can use one that sprays or has a tone. I use an electronic bark collar.. and the setting is appropriate. The dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on. Barking is a privilege, not a right! The more a dog barks, the more the dog self rewards and barks more.

I have used the collar to silence a dog that is in a kennel with neighbors around while I was at work. I have used the collar at night for a dog that is kept in a kennel (indoors) at night. Most dogs learn to shut the collar off.

I know people here malign me for using this device, but it is necessary to have a dog silent at training (often dogs will start barking when they hear other dogs working in the Protection Phase of the sport I do). The neighbors do not appreciate the dogs barking in cars and the dog can burn through a LOT of energy reducing their ability to learn and perform when it is their turn on the field to train. I also could not afford to have Animal Control coming to the house threatening to remove my dogs because of nuisance barking in an outside kennel. I worked 11-12 hour days and an outside kennel was necessary as it allowed the dog to pee and poop if necessary. Dogs had insulated dog houses.

I also was maligned for having dogs in outdoor kennels (this is much more rare now as I am retired). I had a walk out basement at one time and had a kennel there for bad weather. I still have a similar set up now (two indoor full size kennels in the basement should I need them). I have had crates in the garage. There is NOTHING wrong with keeping a dog in a crate at night in a garage that is climate controlled. It is no different than having the dog in a crate in a room in the house. It sounds to me like your dog has a pretty darn good life.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd love to have some outdoor runs! My damned dogs scale the fence and I'd like to leave em outside.

I keep the crates in the garage that's climate controlled, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see treating dogs as dogs as abuse <.< people are way to sensitve

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I would simply use a bark collar. You can choose one that is electronic or you can use one that sprays or has a tone. I use an electronic bark collar.. and the setting is appropriate. The dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on. Barking is a privilege, not a right! The more a dog barks, the more the dog self rewards and barks more.

I have used the collar to silence a dog that is in a kennel with neighbors around while I was at work. I have used the collar at night for a dog that is kept in a kennel (indoors) at night. Most dogs learn to shut the collar off.
Isn't the use of a shock collar typically something that requires the guidance of a professional who is experienced with their correct use, and also knows the signs of detriment / fallout / damage to watch out for ?

I guess disclaimers and warnings aren't necessary anymore. Just go straight to the recommendation, simply because "the dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on" and "most dogs learn to shut the collar off"..

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd personally only ever use a water one, since there isn't any physical harm that can be caused, consindering that theres no person on the other end to use it.
I don't use one though, my dogs are all silent without any sort of extra training measures. I just tell em no.

Always remember when using a tool that there are effects that happen

I would never reccomend a bark collar, most are cheaply made with inconsistant shocks, as well as. well they shock.. e-collars stim. A whole different ballpark

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'd personally only ever use a water one, since there isn't any physical harm that can be caused, consindering that theres no person on the other end to use it.
I don't use one though, my dogs are all silent without any sort of extra training measures. I just tell em no.

Always remember when using a tool that there are effects that happen

I would never reccomend a bark collar, most are cheaply made with inconsistant shocks, as well as. well they shock.. e-collars stim. A whole different ballpark
Just because there is no "PHYSICAL" harm, doesn't mean there is no emotional harm to be had. YOU should always remember when using a tool that there are 'effects that happen'.
And, I'm sorry, but a "STIM" is just a nice name for a low level shock. You can call it whatever you wish, but... "a rose by any other name" & all.... It's a correction delivered by electrical stimulation to the dog's neck.
But, yeah, you just go ahead & call it whatever makes you feel better - regardless of what the dog feels about it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
a bit of time without you around would be lovely.

If I'm the know it all, then how are you ALSO not the know it all? You're replying to my posts? No?

I didn't reply to you, or engage with you at all before you (and your know it all attitude I guess) replied to me.

Is 3GSDIPO just too good for you to reply to? Or do you just like picking on me? We piggy backed on eachother.. But you ALWAYS quote me

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Just to get back to this for a moment ...

Barking is a privilege, not a right!
No, it is neither. Barking is simply a normal function of dog behaviour. It's what dogs do. Naturally.

No different than .. cats meow, mice scurry, impalas run fast. It's what they do. Naturally.

If you see barking as "a privilege", then I'm afraid your sense of dominion over animals needs a gut check. Quite likely that your own egotism needs a bit of tweaking as well.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'd love to have some outdoor runs! My damned dogs scale the fence and I'd like to leave em outside.

I keep the crates in the garage that's climate controlled, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see treating dogs as dogs as abuse <.< people are way to sensitve
I put wire top on my outdoor runs. Some runs you can buy extra side panels that you can put on top, but I use regular 2x4 mesh welded wire. If your dog digs the runs must be on concrete or a wood deck and attached to the concrete or wood (U bolts work on a wood deck).
I actually have my runs inside a fenced area. In this day and age if you go out (like to work) you need cable locks and electrified fencing to keep the "we must rescue the dog" people away from your dogs if you live in a populated area.

Isn't the use of a shock collar typically something that requires the guidance of a professional who is experienced with their correct use, and also knows the signs of detriment / fallout / damage to watch out for ?

I guess disclaimers and warnings aren't necessary anymore. Just go straight to the recommendation, simply because "the dog will learn quickly to be silent when you put the collar on" and "most dogs learn to shut the collar off"..
Actually, with a ANTI BARK collar, No you do not need special training. There is NO remote and you are not even there. The collar is sound activated. SOME training collars with a remote also have an Anti Bark feature. I am not a fan of that. I want the bark collar to be just for that purpose and no other.

The dog learns to shut the collar off and you are not even there. Yes, the dog barks and the dog is stimmed. Absolutely. It takes a few times. You stay out of the picture and IGNORE what is going on. It is not about you. It is about barking and the dog learning to shut up when the collar is on.

My only warning with no bark collars is that you get one that is not activated by another dog barking. I also know they need to be set high enough to make a point.

The ONLY time I have seen a dog "bark through" an anti bark collar after they understand it is in an extremely high drive dog in a high drive situation. The OP is not describing that.

Something that you may find interesting.. I do train using an e collar. My sport demands barking. My dog knows the difference between that training collar and the bark collar. He barks just fine in the training collar. Again, barking is something dogs LIKE to do. It is a privilege, not a right. My dogs I can turn barking on or off in training and my dogs will alert bark when people come etc.

The bark collar is only used to prevent nuisance barking when I am not there.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The dog learns to shut the collar off and you are not even there. Yes, the dog barks and the dog is stimmed. Absolutely.

So ... strap it on your dog ... and leave.

So ... no one, not a professional, certainly not even the (novice) dog owner him or herself IS PRESENT to evaluate, monitor, or oversee, and subsequently prevent, counter or mitigate any negative or adverse effects on the dog during the course of it being SHOCKED. And this goes not only for potential physical damage or injury the dog might incur, but especially for the adverse psychological effects that might take place during the owner's absence.

Just ... strap it on .. and LEAVE.

Wonderful advice from you once again, 3GSD.

And what a wonderful way for the dog to "learn".

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Petpeeve, I know you hate to use any aversives and your individual opinion of E collars has been stated several times. I get it. Since you do not use this tool and do not understand its use your evaluation of it and its use lacks both experience and knowledge.

With a bark collar the relationship between barking and stim is established by the dog. The handler being present is neither a good idea nor necessary. Handler can be in another room (in this case the dog is in a crate, so easy enough to do). In an outdoor kennel, the handler should go into the house or other building. Then just wait.

The dog starts to bark. Most collars allow a couple of barks then they stim. The dog will yelp.. and most will try it a again.. maybe a few times.. but most of that that trial and error is over in under 10 minutes. DONE. Finished. Leave the collar on and get on with whatever you are doing. That is how it works. No one is saying you must use this tool. No one is saying the OP must use this tool. It is simply a tool the OP or anyone else can CHOOSE to use. I am simply explaining its use. Using it is a choice.

While you may be fortunate to be able to be there all the time with your dog and correct barking in other ways, I can tell you from experience that if you need to use outdoor kennels and have neighbors who will call AC when you are at work due to a dog barking, you NEED to address the barking when not present. The bark collar is a choice.

In the case here with the OP he has a dog that barks in a crate at night. Allowing the dog to continue with what is likely a self rewarding behavior is going to make that behavior harder and harder to change. In this case you want a 180 degree change from barking to silence. As a trainer you KNOW that rectifying an established self rewarding behavior is one of the most difficult tasks you can undertake. The use of an electronic bark collar is a choice the OP might want to investigate.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Since you do not use this tool and do not understand its use your evaluation of it and its use lacks both experience and knowledge.
Oh, I understand its use. Fully.

Listen. I don't own, and have never fired an RPG ordinance. But I certainly DO understand it is a powerful and potentially dangerous 'tool' that demands great care and attention when wielding it. Neither experience nor intricate knowledge are required to realize that simple fact.

The dog starts to bark. Most collars allow a couple of barks then they stim. The dog will yelp.. and most will try it a again.. maybe a few times.. but most of that that trial and error is over in under 10 minutes. DONE. Finished. Leave the collar on and get on with whatever you are doing. That is how it works.
So now you're backpedalling and saying the handler SHOULD be present. Ummmm ... oh, oooh kay.

Given your on-going, carelessly incomplete, ambiguously worded, pro-shock recommendations here at the the forum, hopefully you (and more importantly, the OP) now understand the point I'm making. In your case, I tend to doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Shutting this down in lieu of multiple times-out.

You know who you are. Stop it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.