Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I don't own the dog, its my mums partners dog, however when he comes around the dog does nothing but bark at me, chase my cats. The owner does nothing to control him, however I have something called Asperger's Syndrome, and can not stand loud noises and find it threatening.

However people with Aspergers gets bullied a lot, and I see this as a type of bullying, and I am one of the few people who have not been bullied due to the fact I go on the attack before the people get their foot in the door.

I have began to do this with this dog, basically, I am the only one who tells him off, and the owner is not responsible in this area and refuses to tell him to stop in the right tone, its always a quite I am happy type voice which the dog reads as I can keep going. After I tell him off, he stops barking, and the owner just puts him on the lead.

I am getting really really hacked off and my temper is getting the better of me, every time the dog barks at me, I don't care if the dog barks at anyone else but not me, or my cats.

I am told to give him treats and this will make him stop barking, however this has not worked in the past and I don't see it working now, I have a Labrador that used to bark when we first got him as a puppy, and he stopped very quickly and when he hears other dogs barking even now he quivers due to being scared ill tell him off. I have not told him off for a good 2 years (he is currently 28 months).

I also am considered disabled, and walk outside with crutches, of which I have to throw them a few feet away to "stop" him from barking without raising my voice.

The second this dog sees me, Bark... bark, bark, growl, bark, wine bark and its got to the point I am beginning to tell the owner to control his dog.

Any tips I can pass on to stop this dog from barking would be great.

Oh, they have tried, newspapers, horns, whistles, and many more, but never tells him off for barking which he refuses to do - due to the fact he is a dog... Should I keep trying? Just walk away whenever they come up?

·
Registered
40 Posts
First of all it is not your responsibility to discipline this dog, the other thing is that treating a dog when barking will temperarily stop the dog but you are encouraging the dog to bark by rewards. Unless the reason for treating when barking is to teach them to bark on command I would not recommend treating when barking. In this situation I would suggest a couple of things, each have pro's and cons.

1. As you are feeling threatened by this dog, in your own home no less, I would suggest having a word with your mums partner and saying that you have no issue with him coming to your home but that the dog is no longer allowed in until the barking issue is resolved. This could cause an issue with your mums partner though which is something to remember.

2. Once again have a word with your mum and her partner and ask them to tell the dog off for barking at you and your cats. Be insistant and repeat that you will not allow this threatening behaviour to continue in your home.

3. Gently say to your mum and her partner that just because they have a dog doesn't mean it is acceptable for it to bark whenever it likes, especially as it can be percieved as agressive behaviour. Tell them that it is possible to train the dog to bark on command, as I have never trained any of my dogs to do this I'm not sure how to go about this but i'm sure there is plenty about it on here.

4. Tell your mums partner that if he insists on bringing the dog to your home that it must be kept on a lead. This should curb the dog chasing your cats around the house and possibly make it easier for his owner to keep control and implement some form of discipline when the dog barks. When I take my puppy to a family members house we keep her on her homeline (a long lead) and if she barks at anyone I give a gentle tug on her lead and say 'quite' it stops her everytime.

I hope some of these suggestions will help and that this is resolved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts