Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old 50 pound american pitbull/rhodesian ridgback mix and I recently bought her a outward hound dog backpack and right now i am using 1 full 16 oz waterbottles on each side pocket.

I was wondering since it is summer and reaches 80-90 degrees daily here would frozen ice packs on each side instead of waterbottles keep her cool?
I walk her with the backpack an hour in the morning and then again later in the day for 30-45 minutes. Is that too much ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me and two hours a day sounds fine, as long as, your pup shows no signs of distress. I have a German Pinscher who will run for 3 or more hours if you let him (yes, even in 90°+) stop for may be 20 mins and then be ready to go for another 3 hours or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response I wanted to make sure I wasn't over doing it with her.
Omg thats totally Bella I will walk her with the backpack for an hour and she heels by my side and is focused on her job (carrying the backpack) and by the time I get home she is pooped and she will sleep for about 15-20 minutes and then she is up and playing with her toys. Thats why later in the day when it cools off I take her out again so she can relax for the night.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do that for my little dog and she's 11lbs :D I have little tiny ice packs I put in her backpack and they seem to help. But if the air is muggy nothing really does because she has a short snout, lol. What I like to do also is to soak down the dog before the walk. Especially if there's a breeze, it'll help keep the dog cool during the walk. One of the dogs I dog walk for is big and black and his fur gets so hot, and I found soaking him (even though he hates it) his fur stays significantly cooler than without. I'm sure not all dogs can be soaked down, but it's an idea that has potential.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Thats a good idea to soak her down before the walk to keep her cool. I try to go out right after sunrise so its not too hot but the humidity is relentless. Cant wait for the fall!!

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Personally, I'd skip the backpack on the hotter days. I don't like putting ice packs in the backpack because on a short haired dog, I don't want the cold pressed against one spot on their skin (esp on the rib area with less fat)

I do like to wet the dogs down before a walk if it is very hot and I aim to finish the walk before all the water has evaporated. Several shorter walks with water breaks and breaks in the A/C or shade are better than one longer walk in the heat.

Also, watch those paw pads! In the afternoon and evening after the sun has been baking the concrete and asphalt all day, it can cause severe burns (blacktop is the worst). That early evening time when there is a bit of shade can be deceiving because the ground hasn't started to cool yet. I put the palm of my hand on the sidewalk and if its too hot to hold it there for several seconds, then we play in the yard until much later in the evening (or drive to the park with dirt paths)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts