Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've already changed the blinds twice this month and I would love a solution that would prevent more changes.

It seems like Lola has been tearing them up when she sees something outside. At first, she whinned and then I hear the blinds move around. It appears our new neighbor has started a very peculiar habit of walking their adult dog in the middle of the night around 2 - 3 am. Two weeks ago, we woke up to find her tangled in the middle of the blinds. She was whinning as if she was wanting to meet new dogs. We then blocked her from that room. Last night she barked! She hardly ever barks! In fact it was a clear bark and not the strained barking whining sound we hear on a rare occassion. BTW -- she isn't debarked. Our vet thinks she's part basenji.

I don't want to deter her from barking because our neighbors are wierd. Also, her barking tells me that something isn't right. She has a crate, but I don't want her alertness to disappear. I don't think she'll tell us somethings wrong if she's in there. I don't want to keep replacing blinds.

(Ilya just sat there and watched Lola. He didn't get excited. He'll mostly guard if no one is home)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're going to have to decide what you want from her....either she's going to be a watchdog or not. Let me explain....Search and Rescue dogs are allowed on the furniture, and up on the counters. No place is off limits to them....because of their work they must be allowed access to every spot.....same with watchdogs. That means you get scratched up window sills/doors, torn drapes, blinds...all part of the job.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That makes sense. My son was correcting her and she had a look of confusion and the "uh oh". She loves to please so she really didn't want to do anything wrong.

With my pair of dogs I know I don't want her to stop letting us know someone one is near. Ilya doesn't react until a stranger, he hasn't been introduced to, steps within his comfort zone at the house. We found this out after a fireman opened our window responding to a false alarm with our faulty fire alarm. He watches until the arm comes in the window before he growls and barks.

What is a good command to use and work on in this type of situation? I know she isn't in training mode so treats and commands she knows would have little effect in the middle of the night.

Settle down? --- then reward when she backs away from the window?

I'm searching Lowes for a window treatment solution... perhaps rabbit wire in a frame at night until she follows backs away from the window on command.

I'm not particular to who answers my post so any/all suggestions are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The traditional approach goes like this: Dog barks...alerting you of a possible intruder....you have to do your part of getting between the dog and the 'problem'.
This is an important step as it clearly shows the dog that his job is done and you're taking over. At that point, when you're in the lead, you thank your dog for the alert and use your quiet or that's enough command.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you TD!

I had been wondering how I could possibly explain and practice this with my son on how to react when our dogs bark because..... they don't really bark that much at all. They may bark once or twice an entire month.

Well, your suggestion worked this morning. We place cardboard temporarily in front of the blinds to protect them and Lola reacted the way she did the night before. My son got between her and the window, told her it was ok, peeked out the window and told her to "sit". Then he used the brand new clicker to reward her afterwards. My son reports he got a tail wag instead of the look of remorse.

We're going to work on thanking Lola for the alert. This may lead into son's next quest is to train Lola to tree a squirrel (He hasn't quite figured out how to finds his mostly barkless dog to let her off leash yet. :D)

·
Banned
749 Posts
As for the blinds is it a room that you could keep them open?. If not and they are the horizontal type perhaps they could be changed to the vertical type. This way they can be closed and the dog can still see out the window by maneuvering them sideways. As soon as the dog leaves the window they go to being closed again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts