Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd dog attack and if there is another one it is going to be that dogs last attack. I posted this over a month ago and this is what happened today. First I'm 64 years old and not in great health. I'm walking down at the river in Tempe AZ and a pit bull gets away from a kid who should not have been on the lease in the first place and I see the dog charging form about 50 feet away so I reach in my pocket to get my pepper spray and then decided I can just protect my dog because the owners are only 50 feet away. Boy was I wrong. That pit bull went through me and I couldn’t protect my dog so I got ahold of its collar and pulled it off my dog and I figure if the dog bits me it will have a naughty headache after I punch him in the head as hard as I can but that didn’t happen because I am the one who would of got hurt with a broken hand. The people came and were very nice and I called the police which was useless and the people ask if they could help and I said no. I make 3 big mistakes. 1. I didn’t pepper spray the dog. 2. I didn’t ask the people to stay because I am calling the police. 3. I didn’t take any pictures of them with my cell phone camera. My dog seems to be OK and I am very upset and lucky. I called back the Tempe police and put in a complaint about the dispatcher who didn’t know the area and who was of no help and the supervisor will call me back tomorrow. The bottom line is I am going to get a permit to carry a gun and the next dog that attacks mine is going to be dead.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you can't make a decision to use pepper spray, you have no business using a gun. Plus, presumably the dog is getting loose from a person and charging your dog. That means that a straight line trajectoy if you shoot at the dog and miss, would mean that the dog's owner is in the bullet's path.
Buy a long electric cattle prod, or USE your pepper spray. And I'd find an alternate walking route.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you can't make a decision to use pepper spray, you have no business using a gun. Plus, presumably the dog is getting loose from a person and charging your dog. That means that a straight line trajectoy if you shoot at the dog and miss, would mean that the dog's owner is in the bullet's path.
Buy a long electric cattle prod, or USE your pepper spray. And I'd find an alternate walking route.
Agreed! Not to mention if it attacked you, I am thinking there might be some damage? Did you take your dog to the vet? It makes me really mad when people have their dogs running loose but just because they are loose and approach doesn't mean they are aggressive and deserve to die. I suggested the cattle prod before and I will suggest it again. Why kill the dog because it's owner's are stupid? Also, if you shoot it as it is attacking your dog, you might very well kill your own dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right: I would never shoot alone a path only downwards at the dog. All I have to do now is figure out how to carry the cattle prod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes me really mad when people have their dogs running loose but just because they are loose and approach doesn't mean they are aggressive and deserve to die.

Whenever a dog attach, yes they should die inorder for them not to end up killing a boy or girl and the owers should be going to jail but tell that to our police department and they will laugh at you. The only time they will help you in after the damage in done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am sorry you had to go through that, you must have been pretty shaken up. I am glad you have sense to have pepper spray on you... definitely use it next time. :) Let's hope there won't be a next time though. Give you pooch a hug, I hope he feels better.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
What's that saying, "Get me once you're stupid, get me twice I'm stupid" at age 64 while not in best of health you surely should be a tad smarter when the next attack occurs. The only thing worse than a fool with a gun is an older fool with a gun and since I'm 10 yrs older than you I have no trouble saying it.

Don't know about your training with a gun but I do know at age 64 the reflexes are definitely not up to par. I also believe carrying a cattle prod would be much easier than a gun. All you need is to attach something so it hangs on your wrist. I'm sure some even have a wrist-let. Remember to use prod before dog is biting your dog as that could be a disaster in the making.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's that saying, "Get me once you're stupid, get me twice I'm stupid" at age 64 while not in best of health you surely should be a tad smarter when the next attack occurs. The only thing worse than a fool with a gun is an older fool with a gun and since I'm 10 yrs older than you I have no trouble saying it.

Don't know about your training with a gun but I do know at age 64 the reflexes are definitely not up to par. I also believe carrying a cattle prod would be much easier than a gun. All you need is to attach something so it hangs on your wrist. I'm sure some even have a wrist-let. Remember to use prod before dog is biting your dog as that could be a disaster in the making.
You are right and I hate it when I feel like a fool. I'm smart with no common since so I decieded carrying a gun is out. I'm a Viet-Nam vet but that was a long time ago. Viet-Nam vets who still think they are experts are fools. Your right about one thing let the dog have it before it bits. Today I thought I could just get inbetween the pitt bull and my dog, now that's a fool. Lets say it isn't going to happen again. A cattle prod I think is the way to go. Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Whenever a dog attach, yes they should die inorder for them not to end up killing a boy or girl and the owers should be going to jail but tell that to our police department and they will laugh at you. The only time they will help you in after the damage in done.
The fact that the dog DIDN'T hurt you and your dog and you didn't use any force other than holding it's collar means it wasn't "attacking" you. A pit bull that wants to harm other people or dogs is usually going to get the job done. It was probably more curious than anything. Sure the dog should be contained better and the owners are at fault for letting the dog run at large, however the dog does NOT deserve to die.

Why would you want to progress to a lethal weapon when you haven't even used the pepper spray yet? It's like going fishing with dynamite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts