Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the vet with my dog who ate about 2 cups of trail mix that had raisins in it (probably about a half a cup of raisins total). We got him to the vet within 10 minutes of him eating and he threw up within a half an hour of ingesting the trail mix. He only threw up the one time at the vet even though they gave him a second dose of the vomit inducing medicine. I can't be sure that he threw them all up, it was hard to tell. The vet sent us home and wants us to come back in a few days to do a urine test. Is there anything else i should be doing? Should he be getting IV treatment? has anyone else in the group been through anything similar with grapes or raisins? I've been doing some research and obviously there are some horror stories out there with raisins and grapes causing serious problems. Just hoping for some advice.

He's a 40lb dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,910 Posts
When my 40lb dog did this, they induced vomiting, poured activated charcoal down her stomach via stomach tube, and did a blood tests for kidney values twice - about a week part from each other. She was, and is, fine. Just keep an eye on your guy, watch for pee irregularities and listen to your vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. Did your pup throw up all the raisins? My vet didn't do the charcoal which is pretty frustrating since the time has obviously passed for that. We are keeping a close eye on him. Really hoping he's going to be ok. ugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,910 Posts
thanks for the response. Did your pup throw up all the raisins? My vet didn't do the charcoal which is pretty frustrating since the time has obviously passed for that. We are keeping a close eye on him. Really hoping he's going to be ok. ugh.
I really can't be sure. She ate an entire pound of chocolate covered raisins (double duty, there - yay). Breathe, though. You got him to the vet, and a lot of dogs are fine with grapes and raisins and don't suffer toxicity even without treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really can't be sure. She ate an entire pound of chocolate covered raisins (double duty, there - yay). Breathe, though. You got him to the vet, and a lot of dogs are fine with grapes and raisins and don't suffer toxicity even without treatment.
Yeah thats what I have read. I'll try to breathe and just keep and eye on him. It's great to hear that your dog was ok though, definitely helps a bit with all this worry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
You definitely did the right thing getting him to the vet right away. Like CptJack said, though, lots of dogs are fine eating raisins/grapes and even chocolate unless it's an extreme amount. But you never know if your dog is one that will react until it's too late, which is why it's best to be cautious. Keep an eye on him and be sure to go back for the recheck and kidney checks.

My dad, for who knows how long, was feeding the dogs grapes as treats before I caught him and told him how dangerous they can be- including my 15lb dog. All were fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
My dog also has digestive issues, but it happened because of grains, so after that, I consulted a vet and changed the whole diet
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top