Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago, my 6 year old lab dog chewed a 4 inch corn on the cob. He behaved normal since then, but today since morning he seemed lethargic and not eating. After watching him for few hours, I took him to the emergency vet. They did xrays and found the thing in the large intestine and seem to be moving. He advised to watch him for some more time and if he doesn't eat, them bring him back again. Can I give him a Vaseline bread sandwich, can it help him pass the thing as it is in the large intestine?
X-ray Medical imaging Radiography Human body Neck
Head Human body Medical imaging Rectangle Display device
Hand Eye Leg Human body Wood
Textile Grey Tints and shades Pattern Mesh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
I was a dairy farmer. We chopped corn for silage. During silage season my vet said the #1 bowel obstructive issue leading to surgery and (sometimes) death were corn cobs. I am sorry you are learning about this after your dog has ingested a corn cob!

As to your vaseline sandwich question, this you must ask your vet. Self treating in these situations is not recommended. Clearly your vet is involved, so ask them!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
I agree. Corn cobs are serious problems when it comes to blockages, and I wouldn't do anything without a vet's guidance. My guess is the emergency vet would have offered to administer laxatives if they thought it was appropriate for this case, and since they didn't, it's probably not the best idea to do it yourself without explicit instructions from a veterinary professional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
2 days ago, my 6 year old lab dog chewed a 4 inch corn on the cob. He behaved normal since then, but today since morning he seemed lethargic and not eating. After watching him for few hours, I took him to the emergency vet. They did xrays and found the thing in the large intestine and seem to be moving. He advised to watch him for some more time and if he doesn't eat, them bring him back again. Can I give him a Vaseline bread sandwich, can it help him pass the thing as it is in the large intestine? View attachment 267038 View attachment 267039 View attachment 267040 View attachment 267041
Call the Emergency Veterinary you took your dog to and ask the question, they know his medical case and what to recommend.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top