Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post here, but it looks like a stellar community. Can't wait to get to know some of you.

We got our dog Jeanie (~8yo Shih Tzu) from my uncle about a year ago when he was moving out of town and to a building that wouldn't allow pets. She was pretty poorly treated (her fur was filled with mats, didn't even have a toy to her name) when we got her and behaved very poorly. She's come a long way though, and we're seeing more progress every day.

Until recently, that is. We made chicken about 2 months ago then went out to work on the garden. The leftovers were left on the counter top (away from the edge) so that we could snack when we came back in later. When we did though, we found one plate on the floor, shattered, the chicken gone (bones and all) and a dog nowhere to be seen. How she got onto the counter we'll likely never know.

We called an emergency vet and asked the best course of action. He told us to wait it out and check her stool for blood for a week or two. We did, and saw none (though we did spot some bones) so we, based on his comments, assumed things were fine.

In the last little while though (probably the last... 4 weeks? Maybe 5?) we've seen her sniffing, licking and munching on every crumb she can find. She's also now begging for food (something she'd never done before) whenever we eat, digging for crumbs and scratching at the garbage can.

We usually fed her the Purina Small Dog Formula (simply because that's what she was eating when she showed up, it's decently priced, and she seemed to like it). She'd get 1/2 a cup in the morning, then another 1/2 cup in the evening (Vet's reccomendation). She'd gobble it down, then the dish would go away. This week though, she's hardly been touching it. She'd eat a few pieces, then look around, and head back to the floor for crumbs.

We've tried 3 other brands (borrowed from friends), thinking she may have just been bored. We tried leaving the dish down all day (thinking she may not like the pressure). We tried hand feeding her (thinking she may think it's the same food we're eating).

We know it's not appetite loss - she'll eat any treat offered, even if it's after she's turned up her nose to her food - but we're not sure what it could be. My wife just lost her job, and my hours are about to be cut, so while normally we'd call and pay for a vet consult, we don't have the funds right now.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Seems like she is just looking for something better to eat.
Do you leave the food out ?
Or do you picked it up after a certain time ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like she is just looking for something better to eat.
Do you leave the food out ?
Or do you picked it up after a certain time ?
Usually, we put it down, and pick it back up after 15 minutes or so - or when she was finished. Normally she'd eat it all up right away and we'd just pick it back up when she was done.

We've tried leaving it down for longer periods - even leaving it down for the whole day... But she was trained that it gets taken away after 15 mins, and so that's we do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't leave it for the whole deal. You can try mixing canned food into it. My cousin's dogs were very picky, when I had to doggysit them for a week. When I offer them food, if they didn't eat it. I would pick it up, wait till dinner for them and so on. They ate the food right up after they learn that the only time they going to get food. After they came back they stopped. I guess your dogs believes that if she waits long enough, she will get the chicken.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, sounds like she's holding out for the good stuff. Just pick up the dish after 15 minutes and (important) make sure she's not getting ANY treats in between meals, and she'll figure it out soon enough.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...It doesn't sound to me like your dog is sick...she's just wanting Chicken!

Chicken is a very powerful thing in a dog's world....mine would do backflips for it...made any way....boiled/baked/grilled....he lives for it!

I know you posted that funds were tight....but you sound as if you love that little guy alot....would you consider changing her diet?

I feed my guy Human Food & Dog Food....

I give him 1 Cup of Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food in the morning...and at night he gets 1 Cup of Chicken or Beef along with some Veggies (Carrots, String Beans or Sweet Potato) & 1/2 Cup of Dry Dog Food mixed in.

If you watch for the sales -- you can get a large pack of Chicken Quarters for $2.00 which lasts me 4 days. I cook the one day a week for Chubby and store it in the Frig in a Tupperware with his name on it ---(one day I didn't put his name on it & my son ate it!) ....Chicken in one, Veggies (I cut them up little so he eats them all) in another & Sweet Potatoes in another. If we're having Beef at night (like Pot Roast/or Beef Stew/or London Broil) he gets that instead of the Chicken.

It keeps him happy, his coat is beautiful and he has lots of energy -- and it costs the same as just buying regular dog food.

Maybe this will help.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts