Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog ate cat litter three weeks ago and got diarrhea. We took him to the vet and he was prescribed Metronidazole which helped a bit, but now that he is done his dosage, his poo is mucus-y and abnormal looking again. It has been very soft and pudding-like for three weeks now. The vet also took a sample of his feces and the test rescults came back negative. He eats, drinks and plays normally. What can we do to make him better?

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is very possible that your dog was not on meds long enough.

Many fecal floats are negative when in fact your dog has , for example , giardia.

Mucus-y stool may also be coccidiosis. The drug to treat this not metro...............

This happened to one of my hounds. We went to Vet and did the fecal and it was neg and he said sounds like giardia and treated with metro. Then still sick, same symptoms as your dog, Vet said to do another round of metro. Well , like your dog , things seemed a little better then got worse after the second rounds of meds. At this point my dog had been sick on and off for months and I was not happy with this Vet and the guessing game. However, to be fair , I must say this Vet had worked on several of my dogs and I was always happy with results. ( shrug )

So I knew that the symptoms for coccidia were very similar as I have had dogs with this before. I ordered some sulfadimethoxine and treated my dog for 21 days and that was the end of it. Dog is still OK some 2 yrs later.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thank you so much for sharing. That really brings me so much relief. I have tried to find information on other bacterias online but it's just too vast and I wind up reading about much scarier things. I will be sure to mention coccidiosiss and sulfadimethoxine to my vet. Thank you again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts