Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My dog just got into the cat's litter box, and ate the poo. The cat's a stray. We've only had the cat for a few days.

Should I worry? His breath is awful!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
This is what dogs do :p. If you don't want it to happen all the time, you need to put the litterbox where the dog can't get to it. But you really should get the cat in to the vet for a checkup and de-worming. If the cat is found to have worms, ask the vet for a de-wormer for the dog, too. Other than that there aren't any health risks with a dog eating cat poop. It's just gross.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ditto to Willowy's advice. You might want to get a toddler gate to put up to block the door to a launfry rm, or wherever you keep the litter box. That way kitty can hop over, but dog can't. If you have a large dog, you can raise the gate off the ground 6 or 7 inches, so kitty can go under it, but dog can't.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We had two cats and any time that my dog got downstairs, they would eat the "Cat Box Crunchys". Near the end of my 16 year old cat's life he could no longer get to the box so he used puppy pads that we had down for my older dog, and if the cat pooped on the pad it had to get picked up right away or the dogs would eat it (that and the fact that it smelled really really bad).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts