Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help keeping our dog calm when our new baby cries.

We just had our first baby and we already have a 5 yr. old, 40lb Lab/Beagle mix.

When the baby cries, the dog gets stressed out and cries too. If we're holding the baby while she's crying the dog tries jump on our lap or put her front paws on us. It's a struggle to hold her back from the baby when she's crying. Our dog is athletic and jumps very high so there's nowhere to sit or stand in the house that she can't jump up to.

I'm not sure if she's trying to be aggressive towards the baby or thinks she's helping. Either way, it's not safe. Any suggestions on how to get the dog to be calm and relaxed when the baby cries?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
She's likely not trying to be aggressive. Sometimes dogs can be stressed out by another animal or a person crying.

I would think that for something like this you may need to try and build a positive association for her when it comes to the baby crying. When the baby cries, have her sit, and if she's calm, praise her calmly and reward her. If she acts up, send her out of the room or ignore her some other way. As long as she's calm, she can stay and she will be rewarded for that calmness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a common problem were some times dog will be irritated due to baby's crying. In most cases they start to bark in loud noise. At that time we will be in trouble. When my wife got delivered after 4 months whenever my baby starts crying our dog will start to bark and at last we took our dog to a doggy day care center. Then after coming from there he will be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts