Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has 3 rescue cats. One is very large and was due to be destroyed because it bit two previous owners; but my son has more compassion than sense. It gave my DIL a nasty bit on the ankle for no particular reason.

We visited them last week, and put a fence up to protect the cats from my 30 pound Toller. The big cat went over the fence and attacked my dog. She did what Tollers do, and laid down on her back. My son thought the cat was going to kill her, and pulled him away, suffering several bites in the process.

Would my dog have realized that lying on her back wasn't working, and done anything to protect herself?
Would another breed of the same size have been able to fight off the cat?
The next day (with the big cat locked up) my dog was fine with being there, and even chased one of the other cats. Is it fair to say there was no trauma from the attack?

My son intends on having the cat's canines removed by a veterinary dentist, so the next attack might not require a trip to urgent care.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Did the cat bite your dog? I'd get her checked out by a vet if so, as cat bites carry a lot of nasty bacteria. I know a woman who almost lost her arm after one cat bite that didn't even look bad.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cats can be mean! I'm sure some dogs would be able to fight off a cat, but it really depends on the dog. Even the ones that kill cats typically don't go for the truly vicious ones.

Personally, I wouldn't even visit that place at all unless the cat was locked in a room somewhere. My mom once got a very nasty infection because of a cat bite, it's no joke. I'd definitely get it checked out too. And honestly, that cat would be put down.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son's bites swelled up almost immediately and took three days of antibiotics to calm down; so getting Chloe on antibiotics would have been prudent. He is a vet tech and my wife is a PNP, and they did a thorough exam finding no evidence of a bite; but antibiotics still would have been a good idea. It has been 5 days now with nothing, so there is no point to it now.

And yes, the cat should be put down now. They never should have adopted him. I keep hoping they will get it someday; but he won't put composed manure on his garden because it is not vegan.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Cats are territorial. Years ago I had a Siamese cat try to attack my German Shepherd dog. I intervened and was bitten by the cat for my trouble. My dog would have killed the cat if she had been attacked.

TOTALLY MY FAULT. I brought a dog into that cat's house and the cat was maintaining his territory from the threat of a dog. The cat did not live with dogs.

I should have left my dog in the car in her crate. It was, after all, the cat's house.

Your dog offered submission but cat's do not speak dog. If your dog had a choice she likely would have tried to leave if the cat kept it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts