Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Luna doesn't have constant itching or hot spots so we were surprised when her blood test came back at over 2,500 on potato. Over 150 is allergic. She is also allergic to chicken, trees, grass etc. We started allergy shots. The vets had never seen a result so high.

We put her on California Natural Lamb and Rice 3 months ago.

Is that enough? Is it complete enough to be on long term? Our other dog is on it with her. I was feeding Fromms before. They don't seem to be having problems but I worry that it is too limited.

Should I be giving them anything else to supplement? The only other food they could have because it's hard to find a food without potato would be Cal Nat Grain Free Kangaroo. I don't know if I can fee kangaroo! Lamb is bad enough.

Thank you

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's an AAFCO approved food, so it's complete and balanced. You shouldn't need to supplement. Personally, I like to rotate foods so I'd be looking for at least one other she could eat, but if you can't find another one that works for her, it's not necessary. Lots of dogs eat the same food for their entire lives.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I considered raw but it would be $$ with two dogs and no chicken. She is mildly allergic to fish and beef as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
As other's have said yes according to AAFCO guidelines it has everything they need. It's a little low in protein for my taste so I wouldn't feed it unless my dog had a lot of allergies, which your dog does in which case it'd be completely fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dog Sally also has a chicken allergy – as well as many others (potatoes, duck, wheat etc). I understand your concern about wanting to make sure you dog has enough – I worry sometimes about variety myself. I recently found out that Natural Balance just came out with two new L.I.D. cans and she loves them – Wild Boar & Brown Rice and Rabbit and Brown Rice. If you’re still looking for options I can totally recommend these.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you can find it Darford has a food without chicken or potatoes. It's called Darford Zero/G Sardine, Whitefish & Mysis Shrimp. Might add some variety.

http://darford.com/products-details/?itemid=2

You could also try Ziwipeak for an occasional switch (it's pretty expensive but you only need to feed a small amount). Their three formulas are all chicken and potato free.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We're in the same boat!!!

We started Nature's Variety Instinct Grain free turkey over a month ago. Today I just bought some locally made potato/grain free treats. Finally!

I'm telling you, potato is a real problem. Funny, I was talking with the vet today about an allergy test because of our paw licking. $330. Oof. We've tried Zyrtec, Claritin and now we're about to try Benadryl. I hope the new dog treats help (since the old ones had potato in it) and the Benadryl or I am going to shoot myself.

Chicken was too rough on our dogs stomach. No barfing with the turkey. We'll rotate a little later on but definitely no potato or chicken.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. We had additional testing done and they added rice and soy to the list. She ok with peas though. She also tested high for wheat.

I found that Innova makes a grain free, potato and chicken free food now. I bought the red meat variety. I stopped California natural because of the rice. Also earth born makes a good food but my dogs don't seem to care for lamb.

My vet would like them on raw and we are looking into a way to make it affordable.

Treats are hard to find too.

Zyrtec and Benadryl didn't really help her and a year of allergy shots haven't helped her either. She's allergic to everything outside. The vet seems to think that we can make her better with bicom but that's a new post subject.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to admit, I am intrigued by the Innova grain free red meat dog food. The protein is 35% which I definitely like. The Nature's Variety LID turkey is at 29% and has been wonderful. But I thought it would be nice to change things up a bit so it isn't so boring. Our dog only gets 2/3 cup total for the day because of the high protein so I imagine that she would be getting a little bit less with a 35% protein content. Less fat and more fiber in the Innova as well. Sounds awesome. Will get a bag and start the transition REEAAAAALLLLLLL slow as we enter our last bag of the turkey. Thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts