Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After eating Blue Longevity Senior for 12-15 months my dog has developed an allergy to it (vomiting etc.) so he is currently on Royal Canin Sensitivity CR. I want to change him to a senior food, especially as he is permanently starved with the Sensitivity, but not sure which to try.
He's a 14.5 year old cairn terrier and it's the first food he's had issues with. In the past he's had Bakers Choice (not Bakers!), then Salters Canine Maintenance (tried Senior but he was permanently hungry with that too!), then Hills Natures Best which he seemed to like but there wasn't a senior option.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for a senior food for small dogs that is relatively plain, please.

p.s. I can't give him anything with beef as we travel across the border from time to time.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
They don't need a senior food--it's really just a gimmick. So find a food he does well on and don't mind whether it says "senior" or not. Do you have any ideas about which ingredient he can't handle?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies / suggestions. I don't know what ingredient he's actually allergic to as the vet just said he could be allergic to the food and after two attempts to re-introduce him to it and each ending with vomiting it looks like she's correct.

I'm surprised by the 'high protein' suggestion as I was always told that the older the dog the lower the protein which was one of the reasons I favoured the senior foods as they seemed to be lower protein?

I have some glucosamine pills ready to give him, as soon as his stomach settles - just need to get the food sorted first.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Thank you for the replies / suggestions. I don't know what ingredient he's actually allergic to as the vet just said he could be allergic to the food and after two attempts to re-introduce him to it and each ending with vomiting it looks like she's correct.

I'm surprised by the 'high protein' suggestion as I was always told that the older the dog the lower the protein which was one of the reasons I favoured the senior foods as they seemed to be lower protein?

I have some glucosamine pills ready to give him, as soon as his stomach settles - just need to get the food sorted first.
think about it, you need a good amount of protein for strong bones right? Same with older dogs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
try nature's variety lid instinct had to get one of my dog's on this while i got the blood test results for allergies which is working great no more puking she was allergic to whey,and milk so no yogurt nor cheese items
also try california natural grain free the have limited ingrients

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing more research have decided to give Fromm Gold a try, initially the Senior so I can increase the protein slowly (BBL and RC Sensitivity are both 21%), then look at the Adult or Four Star as there is good availability from the local shops.
Whilst doing the research I discovered a number of dogs had experienced upset stomachs from BBL in the last few months, and talking to the vets they now think it was a bad bag of BBL (we had just changed to a new bag when he got sick the first time) rather than an intolerance to one of the ingredients.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts