Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a crappy day :(

Took Rusty in this morning at 8am for his neuter. 9:10am I get a call from my vet saying that Rusty had a very bad reaction to the anesthetic. He had stopped breathing and his heart had stopped. It took them awhile but they were able to get his heart going again and get him breathing. They then gave him medication to reverse the anesthetic and waited for him to wake up. Obviously, he didn't get neutered.

Thankfully he seems fine now and I'm going to pick him up in a little bit and talk some more with my vet.

Has this happened to anyone else? Just curious if he will ever be able to go under for any surgeries or procedures that he may need in the future? Maybe a different anesthetic? I don't care if he stays intact. I would rather have him alive then attempt to put him under again for a neuter. But I know that accidents can happen and some day he may NEED to have surgery or go under for some reason. This worries me :(

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've never had first-hand experience but I've heard of dogs being sensitive to anesthic. Papillons (and I think some other toy breeds) are supposed to be one of the breeds more prone to reactions than others. Mumble is neutered, though. I think there are different anesthetics that are less likely to cause reactions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you know what kind of preanesthetic drugs your vet used?? Most of these drugs depresses heart rate and respiration. Different breeds will react differently to certain drugs. Maybe your dog was to deep in his anesthetic or your vet will need to use a different kind of drug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts