Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog Kona, a flat coated lab, has met his first rival. He loves all of the mammals he has met to date. This dog, he will not tolerate. I am not aware of any particular problem. The owner runs the dog on a bike. Every time they pass Kona is pulling at the leash and acting very aggressive. I initially was tense and firm with Kona. I am now trying to be calm to let our dog know I am not worried or concerned about the passing dog. What else can I do to diffuse the stress for our dog?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Has Kona ever seen a dog running with a bike before?
Has he reacted to bicycles or skateboards etc before?

I would say that doing some classical conditioning when you see this dog/bike combination...LOOK AT THAT..have some chicken! May go a LOOONGGG way to getting over this issue. It takes time and timing but I think this is probably just a case of not being exposed to this sort of thing before.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Do they ride the bike at the same time/place every day? If so, you could go there, but a good distance away (find out how far away you need to be before Kona reacts) and mark/reward kona for looking at them, but not reacting. So, for an example, lets say at 15 feet away Kona looks at them but doesn't pull the leash and act aggressive. You will want to go to where they ride by, at 15 feet away and every time Kona looks at them you want to mark it (Good!) and reward. Do it at that distance for a few days and then try moving a foot closer. Continue moving a foot closer every few days until you can be only a few feet away. If at any point Kona does react, back up a few feet and go slower from there again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts