Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am at my wits end I have a beautiful border collie. 20months old. We were attacked by a staff 6 months ago and now my dog barks at dogs people and anything in general. Unfortunately it has gotten worse he bit a work colleague and last night bit my nephew and my nephew has a huge hole in his hand that requires stitches. My dog is not a nasty aggressive dog but I just dont know what has suddenly happened to him

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
At 20 months old, he's reaching maturity, and many of those herding breeds are known for reactivity and stranger danger issues. It may be he was genetically destined to become fear aggressive, it may be a direct result of the attack, or it may be a combination of both, but for this I would hire a professional behaviorist to get to the bottom of what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Oh, forgot to add, you might also want to get a vet check just to clear anything medical, with a full blood panel. You should also ask your vet about doing a thyroid panel, as that can cause some pretty strange behavioral changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your advice. I have now booked with a behavourist as I know he is sl loving and gentle and caring . I'm sure given time and work he will be back to his normal cheeky self

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
For your own sake and the sake of the dog, DO separate him/crate him when anyone comes to the house. Due to the level of bite he is now a liability. Teach him to wear a muzzle so if you have to take him out anywhere, including the vet, you have mitigated the issue while seeing IF the behaviorist can help you through training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.