Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I need some advise on this.... so we have an 18 month Kelpie x Cattle, she's always been around lots of people and dogs since she was little.

Sometimes shes a bit snappy if shes sleeping and you try and annoy her like putting your face near hers etc but i dont think that would be too surprising!

But on Sunday morning a stranger came over for the first time (i had never met them either) and she went absolutely crazy! She was growling and actually tried to attack the lady whenever we let her go, it was bizarre! my husband, sister in law and I had no idea what was happening as she has never been aggressive to people! On Friday night she met someone at our home for the first time and she just wanted to play, there was no barking or aggression at all.

Occasionally she can snap at other dogs if they're bothering her too much but nothing very aggressive.

I'm just very confused as to why she would have wanted to attack this lady! Unfortunately it was someone checking that we were suitable to foster rescue dogs, and due to the incident they rejected my application :(

Has anyone had this problem? I wouldnt be so confused if it was a regular issue but it was just out of the blue!

·
Registered
337 Posts
My first thought is that it might be territorial? Anything different in how/where she greeted the two different people you mentioned?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the one she was ok with came with my sister in law, so possibly that may have been a reason? But we have had parties and gatherings at our house with plenty of different people and she has never had any problems other than jumping up for pats! People even walk into our house while we're in another room and she doesnt mind that they have just 'appeared'
Maybe she could sense i was a little nervous perhaps..? I kept telling the lady it had never happened before but i think they thought i was fibbing!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
so a person is coming over to your house to, not as a friend or acquaintance but a person that will """ judge """" you ......... and the pup didn't like them in comparison to other humans ????? no brainer here that the pup is pretty smart... :):) :) in picking up a very sharp contrast...

first time I ever met a kelpie was looking for a parking space at the hotel I was staying in for a dog show... Driving through the lot a woman came screaming out of her room in her night gown.. and she was screaming and running to her vehicle holding one kelpie in her arm , trying to unlock and open her car door and fending off another kelpie that was jumping up on her and biting her and ripping her close. The Kelpie in her arm was trying to get free to get after the kelpie on the ground.. I jumped out of my truck with my back pack to (sorry) block and swing it at the kelpie on the ground so she could open her car and put the Kelpie in her arms in there and shut the door...

OMG what a ferocious little dog....... she was ripped to shreds being bitten in the arm from the dog she was holding,, and several bleeding bite marks from the dog on the ground jumping up at the other dog... that was back in 1991.. I've never fogotten how quick, intense and powerful those little dogs were... can't imagine mixing them with a cattle dog and super charge both traits... wow... there were good things too that I noticed... the dogs were not, after her, she just got in the way,,, and they didn't come after me,,,, and once the other dog was in the vehicle it was all about attacking at the vehicle.. not mindless very very targeted... .. they had both sunk their teeth into each other as well... very intense...

·
Registered
116 Posts
More importantly, what did you did when she went overboard? Did you put her on her side and let her know that you, as the leader was not permitting that behavior?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
More importantly, what did you did when she went overboard? Did you put her on her side and let her know that you, as the leader was not permitting that behavior?
That's an exceptionally bad idea and a very good way to get bitten. Or make the dog hate strangers even more. Or make the dog go straight for the bite next time. Just. . .a really bad idea.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That sounds like a very good way to get bit. Sheesh, I would never ever do that or recommend someone else to do either. Sometimes dogs don't like someone, be it dog or human. But that is not acceptable behavior. My first thought is maybe she smelled like all kinds of other dogs, meeting for the first time and your being nervous. I'm not really sure what you should do. I probably would have put my dog on a leash and/or put them in a different room till they calmed down some. Then brought them out on a leash. It really could just be a one time thing. I'm sure others will have better ideas for you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It really could just be a one time thing.
Yeah, it could be and it's really hard to tell what may or may not have been the trigger if it's only happened once. I'd say be cautious the next time you have somebody new over and prepared to remove the dog from the situation immediately if anything happens, but don't worry too much about it unless it happens again.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Hi guys!

I need some advise on this.... so we have an 18 month Kelpie x Cattle, she's always been around lots of people and dogs since she was little.

Sometimes shes a bit snappy if shes sleeping and you try and annoy her like putting your face near hers etc but i dont think that would be too surprising!

But on Sunday morning a stranger came over for the first time (i had never met them either) and she went absolutely crazy! She was growling and actually tried to attack the lady whenever we let her go, it was bizarre! my husband, sister in law and I had no idea what was happening as she has never been aggressive to people! On Friday night she met someone at our home for the first time and she just wanted to play, there was no barking or aggression at all.

Occasionally she can snap at other dogs if they're bothering her too much but nothing very aggressive.

I'm just very confused as to why she would have wanted to attack this lady! Unfortunately it was someone checking that we were suitable to foster rescue dogs, and due to the incident they rejected my application :(

Has anyone had this problem? I wouldnt be so confused if it was a regular issue but it was just out of the blue!
Okay first off.... Forget about any reactions etc to other dogs.... Dog aggression and human aggression are two different things.....

And I am normally pretty hesitant to advise on "aggressive" behaviors online... Too easy to miss something....

But when you combine what you said above.... And what you said below......

Well the one she was ok with came with my sister in law, so possibly that may have been a reason? But we have had parties and gatherings at our house with plenty of different people and she has never had any problems other than jumping up for pats! People even walk into our house while we're in another room and she doesnt mind that they have just 'appeared'
Maybe she could sense i was a little nervous perhaps..? I kept telling the lady it had never happened before but i think they thought i was fibbing!
It is pretty easy to say that in all likelihood, the dog was reacting to you.....

You have a certain demeanor when you are having friends over... A gathering, a party.... You are happy, calm and welcoming....

But with this person..... They were coming to evaluate you.... You very likely were tense, apprehensive, had anxiety.

The dog was reacting to you.... You were uptight about the person coming to evaluate you and your home... The dog does not know why you are uptight... But they will easily put two and two together and figure it is the person...

And specifically.... A Kelpie x ACD cross is a dog that could and would likely go there QUICK..... Both lean towards being very protective and can be over protective..... Both breeds tend to be aloof and suspicious with strangers. It is specifically worded in the ACD standard with every Kennel Club in the world that the breed should be aloof and suspicious of strangers. These are dogs that are supposed to watch your back, look out for you and be WILLING to act on it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't know anything about the particular breeds but it is possible that your dog sensed something, could have been you as Johnny said or the other person, and reacted to the situation.

We tend to pick dogs who are mushes - easy going, loves everyone and typically people love them. Our last dog was afraid of dogs and once a dog got into our backyard while my sons were outside in the pool. She went ballistic and had to protect the boys - she ran down the stairs and put herself between the pool and the dog and kind of herded the other dog away from them. No fighting, other dog was a Sheltie so no big deal as we grabbed it and brought it home. But she felt she needed to protect. For Zoey, we were walking one morning and a large dog had barked, she turned to look and came face to face with a garden gnome ... she went into full protect mode, ears erect (well as erect as floppy ears can get), hackles up, at full attention and growling. She felt the need to react.

Maybe my experiences are not as intense as what happened but sometimes I think a dog feels that it needs to "spring into action" so to speak.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
ACDs tend to be very keen at reading their owners.....

And it takes work to make them social..... And even then they simply have no desire to be friends with everyone....

Merlin is the most social ACD I have had.......But it took a ton of work and he was out in the show world a LOT. Plus I used him for breed education and responsible dog events.... To him it is like playing a game.... He is not all that social at home. He genuinely likes some of my family and close friends and seems very happy to see them... But if he does not know you and you come to my house, he is going to keep his eye on you.... He has zero desire to be petted or interact with a stranger in the house.... Just watch them and wait....

I have one bitch that likes six people... That is it.... Everyone else is suspect and must be watched.

I co own a bitch that does not live with me.... She does not even really like me and when she had puppies last winter, she had to be locked up before I could look at the puppies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's an exceptionally bad idea and a very good way to get bitten. Or make the dog hate strangers even more. Or make the dog go straight for the bite next time. Just. . .a really bad idea.
Your opinion is exceptionally bad and why so many people have this kind of problem. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, nor do you understand how dogs think. Maybe watch some episodes of Dog Whisperer, where Ceaser Milan does it regularly. I'll believe him and personal experience over an uniformed opinion on a message board.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sounds like a very good way to get bit. Sheesh, I would never ever do that or recommend someone else to do either. Sometimes dogs don't like someone, be it dog or human. But that is not acceptable behavior. My first thought is maybe she smelled like all kinds of other dogs, meeting for the first time and your being nervous. I'm not really sure what you should do. I probably would have put my dog on a leash and/or put them in a different room till they calmed down some. Then brought them out on a leash. It really could just be a one time thing. I'm sure others will have better ideas for you.
Who's the top dog in your house? You're worried your dog will bite you? Fail.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I dunno, but I'll agree Willowy has a pretty uniform opinion lol. It's mostly in line with everyone else here especially when it comes to CM and alpha rolls.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dunno, but I'll agree Willowy has a pretty uniform opinion lol. It's mostly in line with everyone else here especially when it comes to CM and alpha rolls.
Dogs don't read social media, nothing on a chat board will have any meaning to them. I'm talking about reality. Seen it, lived it so I know better.

I also see a LOT of people, especially females, that think dominance is evil and wrong so have a weak hand in their roles with their dogs. Their dogs are often overly aggressive at the dog park and they don't know what to do about it.

If you are worried that your dog will bite you then you have failed, you are not the leader.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts

The entire alpha roll nonsense is futile at best.... Dangerous at worst.....

The likelihood of a positive outcome is nil..... Though some dogs will shut down and folks that do not know any better will see it as a positive thing.... When in reality all they did was cause the dog to cease to communicate.

Forcing a dog that is in drive down (especially a dog that is likely willing to become VERY tenacious as most ACDs and Kelpies are. Remember a good one can NEVER EVER give up on nasty mean stock that weighs 30 or more times than them) is exceptionally foolish. It is a good way to end up bitten or worse.

The dog is already prepared to go there and by forcing it into an alpha roll, you take away all other options for the dog....

You would be picking a fight that you REALLY DID NOT want to pick.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts