Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't really have any first hand experience with thisbut I'll give it a shot. At 2&1/2 she is reaching maturity,who she is and what her place and status are and she is probably trying to set limits with other dogs andthe people in her life. You say, she snaps, which is a warning bite. The dog she snaps at may be exhibiting what your dog considers bad doggie ettiquette and she may be rebuking him or her. You need to watch the circumstances carefully, and the body language. When any 2 of mine get a little cranky with each other a loud, sharp, HEY!, is usually enough to make them rethink what they were doing. As far as the groomer goes, I think, barring pain or medical reasons, she is just saying she doesn't want that particular procedure done, and should not be allowed to go on to the next step which will be an actual bite. I would muzzle her during grooming, so that she never becomes successful at having a snap or bite make the groomer stop what she is doing. I would ignore that behavior and just continue with the grooming confidently. This works with my 160lb Newf/ Irish Setter in the bath tub.
BTW, I read a great book called "How to Speak Dog" (I can't remember the author) which is really, really helpful in understanding canine body language. Hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts