Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I can't post in the general forum, but hoping someone has some advice.

I have a "new" puppy (1 years old), we got him back in February when he was 3 months old (he's a 40lb lab/hound mix,shelter dog from Alabama). We also have a 10 year old, 25 lb lab/spaniel mix.

The Puppy over the past couple of months has become increasingly more aggressive, directly after he eats his food. Since he was about 5 months old, we have been feeding him in his crate. When he's finished eating and we let him out of his crate, he stalks our other dog...he'll just stare her down and recently (the past 2 weeks, he has actually lunged at her and attacked her). <---There is no food present, she's not anywhere near his crate, nor is she doing anything at all to provoke him (she actually looks away).

Last night, my older dog was on our couch with my wife, the puppy ate, went outside, came back in and sat right next to the couch staring at my other dog (he was rigid and wouldn't even look away when I tried to get him to play with a toy). I went over to the couch, picked up my other dog, because I knew he was going to lunge at her and my wife and as I was picking her up, he attacked (biting me on the hand).

Has anyone ever experienced this? It just doesn't make sense...my older dog isn't doing anything at all...I've been feeding the puppy from my hand for about a week now, trying to dissociate his bowl and his crate and he's been great doing that, but continues to stalk...Outside of this 30 minute window after he eats his meal, he's the most affectionate, loving dog (he will even cuddle and play, non aggressively, with my older dog).

*We have been keeping them separated as best as we can...letting them outside seperately and crating him after eating (for 30-40 minutes).

Please help!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think you should probably contact a professional, rewards based trainer for this one. This is a bit too much for anyone to give you accurate advice over the Internet. It sounds like some sort of resource guarding issue.

Additionally, have you taken the pup to the vet? Perhaps he is experiencing some discomfort after he eats, like acid reflux or an upset tummy, and he is directing that discomfort at your older dog, or you, whichever gets in his way first.

And yes, continue to keep the pup and the older dog separated after the pup eats until this episode passes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Lillith Yes, we have an appointment with a pet behaviorist near us, but my appointment isn't until January, so wanted to throw out some feelers and see if anyone else has dealt with something similar.

thank you!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Age, the couch, retreating.... is the sequence your looking at of triggers your dealing with. dogs change from happy go lucky puppy anything goes to maturing into young adults (testing challenging) usually about the 6 months age group and the maturity changes continue 1 year old, 1.5 year old, 2 year old and 3 year old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts