Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a "Sasha" about 18 month ago, shes a nice loving dog.. She plays with me my sis and mum, i would say I'm the one that is strict with her. But lately after no trouble at all shes starting snapping at my mum and sister, now ill be honest shes a staffy cross, lovely dog, since i got her me and my mum have been working loads she only gets out when its possible for us to take her out, so.. She sometime stays with my sister on her bed, but not all nights, but tonight was different she actually bit her after my sister kicking her off her bed, not hard, just left a slight mark, but shes also snapped at my mum like this a couple times in the car, because my mum was telling her off for barking at another dog.. But this has only started last few days and the difference is shes hasn't done it with me at all, like if i ask her to go downstairs she does straight away no problems but when my sister tells her she snarls at her?. I don't know if this matter but ill mention it non the less, she spins after her tail in the garden, but for like 20 mins solid, and after she gets it she holds it like a dummy, later on she will start to lick her leg! But again the spinning has been from day 1, licking her leg.. Last couple weeks. If my mum or sister takes her to the shop she wines outside and acts up, me? Shes fine with and behaves well, same with other dogs, mum and sister walk her shes aggressive to them, i take her.. And shes fine! So I'm really at my wits end now, because its putting a strain n the family.. Because if she attacks someone properly, i will have her put down. So can somebody please help me! Tell me what im doing wrong.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A majority of the people on this forum are not educated dog experts. Most of the answers you get will be guesses based on your information and their experience. It is a fact that an unsocialized dog can become aggressive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It could be any number of reasons. You mentioned that your mother "told her off" and your sister "kicked her off the bed". If stuff like that happened enough she could snap. Was she a fearful puppy? Did she always act up when at the store or just out in public?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't say fearful, shes only like this with them but there with her the most? Play with her the most. She used to cower at other dogs.. Now she wants to get at them..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Her being afraid of other dogs as a puppy could definitely lead to dog aggression, but that shouldn't cause aggression toward your family. If they yell at her a lot or hit her- even if they do it to discipline her- she could have decided that she had simply had enough. People do the same thing. Did she always misbehave in public places?

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
At 18 months old she is starting to mature, and you may see issues that you didn't see before. What kind of training methods are you using? If you are using the old disproved "alpha" or dominance-based methods, those can definitely backfire when a dog matures and decides it's not going to take your bullying anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No not for me, shes always fine, and they never hit her, shes gets told off for being naughty but thats about it. Do you think its because i disaplin her? Im the only one that does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 18 months old she is starting to mature, and you may see issues that you didn't see before. What kind of training methods are you using? If you are using the old disproved "alpha" or dominance-based methods, those can definitely backfire when a dog matures and decides it's not going to take your bullying anymore.
If she misbehaves she gets sent to her bed, shes knows right from wrong, shes great with me, she just stands up to mum and my sister, i have no problem at all with her, but if im there and there telling her off, she THEN listens! Lol, if shes really naught ill give her a pat just so she knows.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think that you disciplining her would make her snap at them. Have you talked to your vet about it? Maybe a trainer? I would hate for you to have to put your dog down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think its related to them, when she was a pup, they babied her. Now there starting to put there foot down it must be a shock for her or something? Ive always been the dominant one.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Forget the dominance stuff. Dominance between dogs and humans is not a thing.

De-Bunking the "Alpha Dog" Theory
AVSAB Position Statement on the Use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals
Misconceptions of the Mythical Alpha Dog
Wolf researcher L. David Mech's site (he helped popularize the whole "pack order"/alpha/dominance thing among wolves, but later learned that much of what he believed was wrong)

You and your family members all need to work with the dog to teach her what you want her to do. Teach her a solid "off" command so that you can order her off furniture without pushing or pulling her. Teach her a "quiet" command so that your mom can ask her to stop barking (yelling at a dog to stop barking has the opposite effect -- think about it; you are basically barking just as loud as she is).

Here are a bunch of free training videos that can help with all that stuff. (Site is slow loading for me today, but it will load.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But like with the barking thing, we tell her "in" she knows what shes doing wrong, she comes in and goes to her bed, then she wont come out until asked to or shouted, she knows the "down" if shes upstairs and again down and straight to her bed, and if shes doing anything else its a "ah"! And she stops it instantly. And "bed" when its night time. BUT she wont listen to my mum or sister? She perfect for me, this is what im saying.. All these commands work for me, no one else. She just doesnt wanna know.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would talk to your vet. The tail spinning and leg licking are signs of stress. It is hard to see and figure out what is going on over the internet, so sorry for that. Being a staffy mix, she does require more exercise than say a chihuahua. Daily long walks a must have for this breed. She also needs mental stimulation. I would also consult with a behavorist. It really helps to see what is happening during these episodes. I would still take her to a vet for a phyiscal and bloodwork. I would also talk to the vet about putting your dog on Prozac or similar medication.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It sounds like 1) she is not getting enough exercise physically or mentally. 2) she's fearful and tired of being punished. Screaming at your dog and giving her a pat or smack is NO way to treat a family member. Just like with a baby, teach don't punish. 3) it sounds like you are the only one doing the training. In order to listen to the whole family, she needs to be trained by the while family. Invest in a clicker, treat her with respect instead of as a nuscene, and never look back.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with blenderpie. No pushing off the bed, use the command only. And, if you are telling her "down" to get her off the bed, don't repeat it. Don't say "down" and then, if she doesn't do it "down" again, and again and again. If you keep saying "down" over and over then it gives her the impression that she doesn't have to do it the first time asked.

Also, everyone in the house has to be consistent, and respond the same way, and have the same expectations. Otherwise, it's very confusing to the dog.

She's at an age where she's maturing, so you may notice different things about her. But, if her behavior is suddenly worse, it's sometimes good to get a check up from a vet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts