Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it’s come and gone, this year’s Dog-A-Thon is now officially complete. For those that weren’t around last year (or don’t remember lol) DAT is a yearly charity event hosted by my local Humane Society. The festivities include contless vendors, demonstrations (This year we had thing like agility, herding, the International Association of Weight Pulling, etc.), fun shows (Best costume, Best mutt, etc.) and so on. It’s a lot of fun and I look forward to it every year mainly because you see so many breeds that are otherwise ‘hidden’ away from everyday life.

One of the other big draws is the beautiful trails in the area. We have a short one mile walk and a longer 4 mile walk for participants with water/treat stops along the way. Just as in pervious years, I was working one of the trail stops so I don’t have any pictures of the actual demonstraitions and such but a TON of some of the dog participants that stopped to see us. I figured DF would want to see even if they were mainly ‘sit pretty for the camera!’ pictures lol.

There are a lot, so bear with me. I think it should take about 5 posts to get them all up for you guys.

I loved this little guy. He was such a camera hog - his name is Max

MORE

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We always have a big group of Greyhounds that comes in, which is exciting because you hardly ever see them just walking down the street. They’re just such regal, graceful animals

Rottie for Inga lol

Tuscany the Saint Bernard

MORE

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Berg the Bernese Mountain Dog

This guy’s name is Gus. I love that tongue…the colors make it look like someone painted a galaxy over the normal pink or something

MORE

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Penny, one of the dogs available for adoption.

Sheppy (lol) the black German Shepherd Dog

My first time being around a Standard Poodle. I’ve handled lots of minis and toys but the standards aren’t too common around here. This girl came up with a group of one other standard and a bunch of minis. Definitely Poodle people

Taking a break. Our stop was right after a serious of hills, so some of the dogs would get to the top and decide it was now nap time.

MORE

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Levi. He was such a handsome/friendly boy. Very unaware of his size lol

You guys probably don’t remember, but I took a picture of this Pei last year as well. She’s a seven year veteran to DAT

Honey, another repeat participant

MORE

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I only include this picture (which does him no justice at all) out of respect of the fact that this was literaly the biggest Dane I have EVER seen. He was absolutely HUGE, came past his owner’s waste easily. His name was Trooper

Kaia, half of a Weimaraner agility team. They were in an ex-pen and when ‘mom’ walked away for a moment both her and her sister were SURE they’d been left alone forever.

And last but not least, Jake a Boxer that belongs to a friend of mine.

All done, hope you guys enjoyed!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These actually weren't the shelter dogs - they belonged to the participants ;)
There WERE a few adoptable dogs available but for the most part they were all personal pets.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!
Yeah, I really wanted to but he was on the move pretty quickly. He was quite the regal dog, though.

It might just be ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Really amazing pictures! This was my first year attending the dogathon, along with my shelter dog Scott. Gotta' say it was a lot of fun, and all the exhibitions were fantastic, especially the K9 unit one.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh hey, that's awesome that you were there!
I'm glad you had a good time, I was kind of worried that due to economic situations and whatnot that it wouldn't be as successful this year. Good to hear that wasn't the case :)

And I always love watching the K9 demonstrations as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts