Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My dog Deacon constantly drinks water. My brother said it could be a sign of kidney problems. But I've also heard that labs just have oral fixations and lick and drink alot. So far my vet hasn't said anything, but he has a checkup in jan. I actually call him a water buffalo.... lol.. any other water buffalos out there?:)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Does he play outside a lot? Maybe it's really hot where you live. My puppy drinks a lot of water too, I think it's a normal dog habit, but you'd probably be best asking your vet. At least giving the vet a call or something.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They do drink a lot when kidneys are going bad, I would think you would see other changes in behavior though.

Best to be safe and have it checked.

My two go through about gallon a day I would say, more of they exercise more, 120lbs of dog between the two of them.

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
Are you counting what he drinks, or what he spills too? some healthy labs do seem to drink it by the gallon. Keep in touch with the vet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I used to think that Harleigh drank a ton of water, but then I looked on the floor and half the water was there! :rolleyes: She's the messiest drinker ever and she likes to "paw" at her water and try to swim in it.. weirdo:D So I would guess she doesn't drink as much as I think she does.

If that makes sense. lol.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Some dogs are just water obsessed.

someone I know has a dog that will drink water until he throws up or until the bowl is empty. Whenever they're at the dog park with a water bowl/fountain it's disaster! He will drink and puke and drink and puke unless the owner removes him.

Does he seem to be peeing a lot?? Maybe he runs a lot and actually needs that much water? if you actually think he's drinking more than he needs (just for fun/obsession/whatever) then limit his water intake.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Excessive water drinking can be purely psychological. I'd ask your vet to rule out any possible health causes for it though, just to be safe, because there are a few physical disorders that can cause it, as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would never limit his water supply just ask your Vet if he is a Lab. they do drink allot of water . I wash my bosses lab and he drinks small amounts constantly think he just likes to be in and round the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts