Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not a big TV person- I usually go outside and play with the dogs when its on!- but I'm a bit under the weather today. So my DH had the Bull Channel on- it's live, televised auctions of bulls, catlle, and horses. They parade the animals out and run them all around.

I noticed both of my dogs watching TV every now and then. They were very intent. I never heard of or have seen that!!!

Do you think they were actually watching TV?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know my own dog when I bring him to my room, he'll watch the tv for a minute or so and then go back to ignoring it.
I've had a variety of different programs on and it doesn't really matter what's on he'll watch it for a bit then go back to lying down.

They actually have a channel on local television called Dog TV and airs shows that use sights and sounds that would catch a dogs attention. It doesn't work very well for my dog but it must work for some or they wouldn't put it on air.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My husky likes to watch tv. I think the movement attracts him. but when he see's other dogs he runs up to the screen and cocks his head back and forth. and then looks behind the tv. makes me laugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I am new here so Hi there. I have a 2 1/2 year old Shitzu/Poodle Mix. Her name is Roxy and Yes she totally watches TV! It's so funny. She totally tunes in and when a dog is barking or growling on TV she tends to get uptight which is funny like it's real. Makes me laugh. Dog behavior is interesting to me so this is a funny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch never watches tv. He just lays next to me and naps. If I watch the animal channel and he hears puppies he looks around the house for them, on the other hand once there was yelping dogs in a puppy mill on the aspca show and poor Hitch started to cry :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those commercials are so sad and I can hardly handle watching them without making a donation right then and there. Hitch sounds like a very intuitive creature and likely So smart. Roxy is not so smart but the sweetest ever.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Eddee is the one who watches tv ... certain male voices attrack him, children screaming, car horns, and other dogs all make him sit and watch. He also barks at the telephone when it rings and then looks at me as if I am supposed to do something with it! Lol! :/

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Lassie and Sophie ignore the TV. Max freaks out and wants to jump on it every time it is turned on. While Damon will sit and watch TV every now and again if there is dogs, cats or other animals on tv.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
There was a time when I would watch everything on animal planet just to see if Buchman would react to anything......and all he ever did was sleep. :/

·
Registered
232 Posts
My sister's Westie is nuts for tv! She especially likes the Telus Commercials She got so she'd even hear the start of the music to the commercial and would start going nuts. She's even leave a bowl of food to go watch the commercial! Here's a video of my Sister and her hubby teasing her with it on the laptop LOL

She once sat and watched the entire movie "The Golden Compass" (Her favorite was the giant Polar Bears LOL) With my Mom, who said she wouldn't have believed it, if she didn't see it for herself... But apparently Westies are well known for watching TV!

Scout, my deaf terrier mix will jump at animals on the TV (horses, dogs, frogs, lizards, birds... etc) as well. And Oliver, my larger terrier mix will look at the speakers for certain noises. but none of our other dogs pay attention at all to the tv

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly doesn't watch so much as she reacts to sounds on the tv. Doorbells, dogs barking, etc. will get her attention. I had a friend many years ago who had a Westie who did watch TV. She was amazing. In the scene in Benji the Hunted when Benji gets attacked, she would whimper. When horses ran across the screen, she would run behind the TV to see where they'd gone. It was very cute!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota will watch TV very intently if there is an animal on the screen. If the animal disappears for more than 5 seconds, he loses interest. I discovered this watching It's Me or the Dog. When the dogs were on on screen, Kabota watched. As soon as they switched to the owner or trainer, he'd look away.

Muggsy never watched TV ever.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan doesn't watch tv. He barks like crazy when a doorbell or phone rings, and at sirens, though. He runs from door to windows barking his head off for a long time. It is hard to hear the tv after that.

When we had our collie, he liked to watch Lassie. It was funny, because that is the only time he paid attention to the tv.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I noticed Mumble watching TV once. It was the Westminster dog show, and he was very interested in the Visla. But that was it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Troubles will stare at it occasionally, Diesel never has, but Aleu gets so focused that she won't even look at her pony.
My mom will put on Animal Planet, but she doesn't care about other animals. She watches whatever she feels like. She chooses TV over me </3 Especially depending on the show. She likes the movie Iron Will a lot. and oddly enough, she mainly watches Gus, which I find adorable xD

But her all time favorite show ever, is Supernatural:

She watches this show this intently every time it comes on. It's how I know she's mine! xD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Milo just sits there between the arm of the settee and the recliner and every now and then lifts up his head to growl at the television. He is pretty relaxed about it, really, but he doesn't really react to it and he barely even lingers on the tv when there is a dog on it. He just looks at everything and then goes back to sleep. It's kind of sweet actually :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts