Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband wants our 5 month old lab mix to sleep in bed with us. Up to this point, he has been crated at night. I don't care if he is in our room, but don't want him on our bed. He is going to be a large dog and will take up a ton of space in the bed and I'm afraid of fleas and ticks in my bed. I've put a blanket on the floor with a few toys, but he jumps in the bed until he is too tired to do it any more. Every time he jumps up, we move him back to the floor. So just curious, how many of you sleep with your dog? By the way he is (or was prior to his neuter surgery earlier in the week) potty trained.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I can understand the space issue. We have a 13 lb dog with the world's longest legs in our bed and she, surprisingly, can take up some space but I love having her in bed. This is really a matter of personal preference. I'd just say that if you start to allow it, it will be harder to disallow it if you decide having him in the bed is too much. It will require some training to break the habit.

Regarding parasites, if you're using something to prevent fleas & ticks and he's getting regular grooming, that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand the space issue. We have a 13 lb dog with the world's longest legs in our bed and she, surprisingly, can take up some space but I love having her in bed. This is really a matter of personal preference. I'd just say that if you start to allow it, it will be harder to disallow it if you decide having him in the bed is too much. It will require some training to break the habit.

Regarding parasites, if you're using something to prevent fleas & ticks and he's getting regular grooming, that shouldn't be a problem.
When he stretches out, he takes up tons of space, but my husband loves sleeping with him. The dog seems to like being up by the pillows in the MIDDLE of us. I feel crowded if my huband or the cat gets too close to me, so I can't imagine how this will ever work. (TMI, I know :0) Just trying to be reasonable and please everyone. I know we would sleep much better if he was in the bed because we would know exactly where he was. Since he is still so young, I wake up to be sure he is sleeping somewhere in the room. I'm exhausted from not getting a full nights rest.

He is protected against fleas and ticks with Vectra. My cat is on Frontline so she should be ok too. I don't want to be bitten by fleas, or worse, a tick. I know they can still come in on the dog and we can still wind up with a flea problem or get bitten by a tick, but the possibility of having them in my bed wigs me out. (I guess if I really think about this, if they were in the house, we could carry them into our own bed :0( We live in a suburban area with lots of fleas and ticks.
I guess the real question becomes how well do the flea and tick products work??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, 2 of my dogs sleep with us.....1 is a toy poodle (10 lbs) and the other is a miniature poodle (13 lbs). We do have a king-sized bed, and one sleeps between us, the other at the foot of the bed. Since I do my own grooming, the dogs are bathed every 2 weeks and so are always clean...

I dunno if I would want a shedding dog in bed though....we did have a lab, and she always slept in her crate in our bedroom.....or beside the bed on our rug....I didn't want the shedding all over our bed....

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yes .... but only the non-shedders are allowed to sleep in the bed. They are also bathed every two weeks and have spot-on flea and tick control .... Frontline Plus and Revolution. Never found a bug in my bed yet. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since we also have a 25 pound Maine Coon cat, adjusting to a 7.5 pound Chihuahua (mix?) wasn't a big deal for us. I'm not sure I'd want a bigger dog sleeping on the bed though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My puppy sleeps with me. Right now I have a cat that is fatter and bigger than my puppy that loves to sleep with me so sleeping with my puppy isn't a big deal. lol

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My 50 pound Siberian sleeps with me - and when she stretches out those long legs take up A LOT of room on my queen sized bed but usually she's more comfortable to curl up in her huskyball and just sleep as close as she can to me.

Before her I had a 100 pound Great Pyrenees that slept in the bed with me - that's a big dog with a ton of fur. They actually help me to sleep better.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My 3 dogs , 10 lb poochon , 8lb yorkiepoo, 100 lb lab, all allow me to sleep with them. They come in handy on those cold Alaskan winter nights . My 3 cats also usually sleep on the bed. though Lucifer the lab will go sleep on the couch if I tell him he is snoring.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Love having my boy sleep in the bed with me, he's just under 50#.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I have a Chi mix but hopefully a GSD and a Greyhound are in my future and they will sleep in my bed too if they can fit lol! And I've never had fleas or ticks in my bed while using Pet Armor flea prevention--just make sure you check him over well for ticks after you go into the woods or anything.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
My 44lb standard poodle sleeps with us, but I can understand why a bigger dog would be more problematic (still, I'd want him/her near me at night). For me, the dirt is more of an issue than fleas and ticks (they could and have come in on my husband or me just as easily). We wipe off her feet, bathe her regularly, and cover everything with an old sheet, but there is still grit in the bed. If someone has a solution for that, I'm all ears.

I agree with JulieK, if you start to permit it and then change your mind, it will be much harder than if you never allowed it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
gunther always sleeps by or on my legs. we let him sleep in the bed when he was a puppy, and he began to think he owned the bed. when i was still with my ex, he would literally kick me out of bed in the middle of the night.
he used to jump up on the bed too and do what i've heard people here describe as "zoomies". he'd fling pillows and blankets everywhere just bouncing around. so i would pick up the blankets and toss them back on top of him and watch him try to find his way out from under them. lol

at the moment i am sleeping on a couch and he still squeezes his 85 pound self in and sleeps next to me. sometimes the cat will jump up and sleep on me too (which i think is more annoying than having my dog crowd me because the cat does that little fluffing thing with his paws. i hate that).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Gally sleeps with us on the weekends if he wants to. He will often choose to sleep in his crate instead and sleeps there during the week.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Our three cats sleep in bed with us, and don't get along with the dog, and they were here first so they get the bed. When we went away, Hamilton slept with us in bed and was mostly fine - a little annoying, but by the third night he settled down. We'll often sleep on the couch with him on the weekends, but at home he doesn't sleep in our bed.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Usually the wife is the one that wants animals in bed :)
1. Frontline Plus is excellent, and a monthly application is supposed to provide a 3 month overlap of powerful protection.
2. Just like bugs can come in on your clothes, they can come in on the dog. They also come in through the door with you. All these are rare.
3. A daily, well-brushed Lab has a soft and shiny coat that doesn't shed much.
4. On the other hand, Labs shed small hairs continuously.
5. A Lab in bed is soft and warm.

We don't let our Lab-mix even sleep in our bedroom, and preferably on the other side of the house. He can sleep on the bed, when we aren't sleeping.
1. We won't brush him every day.
2. He's hot, even with the a/c on, and worse in the winter.
3. He runs in his sleep.
4. He barks in his sleep !
5. He migrates to try to take up the entire bed... Very compliant to being moved... but we have to move him, physically, not by voice.
6. He wakes up at strange times and leaves... then may want to come back.

BTW, your dog is going to double in weight... And, he feels that he is entitled to sleep in 'his' bed with you.... so you might want to counter -condition him from expecting to jump on the bed when he wants to...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Gypsy (40lb) is so accustomed to sleeping in her crate while we're gone that she prefers it at night too. She'll "hang out" at the end of the bed while I'm getting ready to sleep but usually hop off the bed after I tuck in.

I feel similarly to you, krisgil88, about fleas and ticks -- also: mud, waste, allergens from outside, fur -- where I sleep. Fortunately for me, Gyps always curls up on the very end of the bed where I have a throw blanket that can be easily washed. If the dog was affecting my physical or psychological comfort in bed, she would not be allowed there. Personally, I would not be able to handle a large dog hogging the bed!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes he does but only because he's a small dog so there's plenty of room for him. With large breeds, you shouldn't let them sleep with you at all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since we also have a 25 pound Maine Coon cat, adjusting to a 7.5 pound Chihuahua (mix?) wasn't a big deal for us. I'm not sure I'd want a bigger dog sleeping on the bed though.
Wow, I need a Main Coon. I love big kitties.

My Shiba sleeps on my bed. Not every night, and sometimes for only part of the night, but he still sleeps up there. He can stretch out and take up a lot of space too, unless I boot him into the corner or edge. His favorite spot is right next to (if not on top of) my head and the pillow. Thankfully he doesn't have a smell and only sheds (for a month) twice a year.
The other two do not sleep on my bed. I don't need two 50 pound dogs on a twin size bed along with a possessive Shiba. (He doesn't even like them coming into my room.) Plus, they shed a lot more and do have a smell. I don't like smelling dog when I sleep.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's really just personal preference. My dog is welcome on the bed, but she prefers to sleep in her open crate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts