Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until an hr ago I would have said that both my dogs are fairly stable and normal. Quincy has a few quirks I suppose but nothing really weird or strange.

Ruby had none, up until as I said an hr ago.

In this video you can see that she is barking at something, something is upsetting her, you can't really tell what it is in the video, but here is a pic of what it is thats causing her to react the way she is. It's a quick video just about 7 or so seconds.

The video http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/beaniebabysmommy/?action=view&current=rubyself1.flv

You can't see from the video what she is barking at, but here it is in better view.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/beaniebabysmommy/?action=view&current=Picture136.jpg

The naked boy is Quincy, the poodle beside him is of course Ruby. Guess she doesn't think to much of the picture. lol.

·
Banned
220 Posts
My dog has barked at a toy once before, unusual for her because my dog is not much of a barker.

She gets in this defense mode-where she reacts to inanimate objects we place before her, or standing still. She'll crouch, grunt, and then run around like mad, come back to crouch, and dart around more.

She goes nuts sometimes and starts racing back and forth, sometimes when she gets kinda spooked at an inanimate object, after a bath, or she is told to come in the house because she was doing a no-no.

I think almost anything she does is a quirk. Facial expressions, reactions, hyperness, you name it

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Oh yes, too many! My dog is seriously mildly OCD, I think. She likes to come up with weird rituals and rules she follows that come out of nowhere. Her newest is to eat kibble four pieces at a time. 1st step, remove four pieces of kibble. Second step- line them up in a row. Third step- go back to the front of the row and eat them one at a time in order. 4th step- go back and grab 4 more pieces of kibble....

There are many many more....

·
Registered
209 Posts
If there is a cup on the ground, Ty will bark and bark and bark at it until someone picks it up LOL. He also will find what ever sized stick he can and takes it where ever he can. Its pretty cute :)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Her newest is to eat kibble four pieces at a time. 1st step, remove four pieces of kibble. Second step- line them up in a row. Third step- go back to the front of the row and eat them one at a time in order. 4th step- go back and grab 4 more pieces of kibble....
Wow, that's... actually, I think that's kind of awesome. Obviously, she's an engineer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nothing really unusual.

Foxy our sheltie/retriever likes to sit on the bottom step of the stairs. Puts her butt on it just like we would w/all four feet on the floor....lol

Usually dogs enjoy being brushed, yet Foxy is scared crapless of it. She even pees herself while we're brushing her. She's been like this since we adopted her.

Beau our 5 mo puppy is afraid of wrappers of any kind. If they end up on the floor he acts like he can't go up to them b/c they'll get him or something. Gets semi close and barks and backs up and barks.

I'll try to think of any more little "quirks".

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a male that will only hike his right leg. If he wants to urinate on something to his left, he'll turn himself around and hike with the right.
I have one girl that prefers the way I throw her frisbee over any other family member.
Another girl likes to claim all toys as her own and go stand in the middle of the Rose Bushes (amongst the thorns) to deter the others from taking them away.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Jonas will follow me every where, and that includes the bathroom. I cannot let him in any more because the minute I start to pee, he also pees. Never fails.
Jack, when surprised or excited, makes a wonderful/hilarious "ooooOOOooo" noise.
Smalls is a giant walking quirk. My favorite being that she sits flat on her butt, back legs stretched out in front of her, when she eats from her bowl.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
How about "purring?"

When Blitz is happy, he snores. It's quite funny. But also, it got annoying sometimes, not because of the noise, but because it sounded SO much like growling, and people would get scared while petting him because they thought he was going to bite them or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Prandtl has been with me a little over a month, but she is definitely devloping a quirky personality.

There is a specific type of treat that she loves. When we give her one, she runs around the apartment like a maniac and then comes back and sits. She'll do it over and over again. She won't do it for any other type of treat.

If she wants attention, she puts her favorite toy in her mouth (her carrot) and make what sounds like wookie noises.

There's also a small hill by us and when we give her a walk and go by it, she will run up and down it for as long as we let her. Sometimes I'll walk there just to let her run up and down the hill... she tires herself out!

·
Registered
394 Posts
When Shiloh wants his back end scratched he'll back up to you and lean. If you're legs are stretched out he'll straddle them then back up.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Misty will pick up socks just to get your attention. She will come into the room and pick up one and leave. She will do this until the last sock, at which point she will come to the doorway of the room and stare at you with the sock in her mouth.. As if to say, "Hey, why aren't you following me?"

She also is in this hunter-gatherer mode.. She takes whatever she finds that's made its way onto the floor and dumps it outside. Wrappers, hair bands, water bottles, etc.

It's so funny how she reacts when you tell her to "leave it". If she's carrying something she wants and you say "leave it", she'll drop it on the floor while continuing to walk away. It's one fluid movement in which the object is dropped, but she was never carrying it. ;)

Not really of her doing is her ear. Both of her ears were standing up fine.. And now her right on is floppy. I wonder if it'll ever pop back up..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
B'asia is full of quirks. She barks with her mouth full. She loves circles when she plays and prefers counterclockwise. And she is insane. All are apparent in this video:

Dogs Play

(That's before we had molding in the kitchen.) :eek:

·
Banned
220 Posts
Maddie just did the cutest thing, I guess it's a quirk. She's done it three times today-she has a jolly ball outside as well as a red bouncy ball-she protects the jollyball and chews the bouncy ball. I saw her pick the bouncy ball up with her teeth and then drop it into the jollyball, then try to get it back out.
I wonder if she learned that because there's another ball in there, or because we put treats in her toys all the time, or just because....

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Old thread, but I needed to add a new quirk:

We got to the dog park one day and Kit was very disappointed to find that she was the only dog there. Lonely and bored, she invented a new solo game. At our DP there are 5 gallon buckets of water under a spigot so the dogs have something to drink. She tossed her ball in a bucket, then dunked her head under to get it. Not just her snout, but her whole head, so she was wet behind the ears. Once she had the ball in her teeth, she let it go so she could dunk herself again. She was bobbing for the ball! At one point she even got her front legs in there and batted the ball around a bit. Since that day, this has become her favorite game at the DP, whether or not there are other dogs. She also does it when we go swimming.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Well, let's see . . .Beau has a thing about his water bucket (or bowl)
being half full. He prefers to drink when it's completely full, so
when it's not, he stands in the doorway to wroof woof, sort've
under his breath. If I don't attend to it, he'll come over to me,
place his paw on my knee and stare into my eyes. I'd better get off
my duff right then and just do it, because otherwise, he's going to crawl on
top of me and lay there! And that's just too much dog for me! LOL

Maddy does not like to walk on grass wet from dew, so each and every morning, she walks to the end of the patio, swings her hinney over the grass, and pees. Geez. The girl will swim, jumps right in, and loves the rain, but by golly, don't ask her to step on wet grass.

Not really a quirk, but, Lucia is very observant (and I do mean VERY), so I have to be mindful when she's in the room of what I'm doing with what. She has this thing about Q-Tips, LOVES to chew 'em, then spits them out, and has been able to find them no matter where I put them. The last time I took them away, she'd opened the under-the-sink cabinet, so decided I'd put them in the linen closet (she'd already opened the drawer of the cabinet, plus a door on the sink cabinet!). Well, guess who opened that sliding door, and got those #@*+ Q-Tips?
Arrrrgh!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ninja, my Belgian Malinois, has a few interesting behaviors, though I wouldn't say they're quirks per se.

When he's home with just my uncle (he lives with my family and extended family (large Filipino household) when I'm deployed) who's a heavy sleeper he does the following to wake him up when he needs to go outside. First he'll poke any exposed skin with his snout (whenever he does this with me, that's sufficient to wake me up). Then he'll lick my uncle's ear. Then he'll bark. Then he'll grab the covers, run away with them and kill shake 'em till uncle wakes up.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
How about "purring?"

When Blitz is happy, he snores.
Funny, my dog does that too but only is he's REALLY enjoying a good scratch/belly rub.

Lets see, he's only barked when dreaming, never when he's awake.

he loves to rest his head on me, my lap, my arm, my hand, whatever :).
and he always thinks he's getting a treat when he hears plastic wrap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts