Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fun-ish little topic.

So, is it just me, or are there some dogs that just seem to have a fixed scent? Something all their own.

I've known two dogs that seem to have their own scent.
The first was some sort of crisscross mutt a few years back that ALWAYS smelled like vanilla. I kept my nose buried in her fur. To the extent of my knowledge, she never had a bath and stayed outside 24/7.

And the second, is Aleu. Ever since she was a puppy, before I even gave her her first bath, she's had this sort of musky, sawdust sort of smell to her. Of course you really have to be close to her to smell it, and I'm the only one who seems to notice, but it's there. I tell her she smells like husky, even though she's the only husky I've ever smelled xD She keeps this scent beneath the smell of whatever she's found to roll or swim in and whatever shampoo she's been bathed in.
I'm not sure why she has it, but I'm glad it doesn't go away. It's familiar and something that reminds me of when she was a baby and she would curl up in the bathroom sink and let me paint her nails.

So, what about your dog? Has anyone had any sort of experience with something like this? What might cause it?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Bella doesn't have a "scent" per se. But ...she's a Siberian and they aren't supposed to have the "dog smell" lol. So. I dunno.

She does have a very faint smell - not one that I can put a name to but you won't smell it unless you actually put your nose in her fur.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Kit used to smell good...hard to describe the scent - maybe a little bit sweet. I don't smell it much anymore. I might have just become accustomed to it, or maybe it faded with age.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Pixie doesn't have a scent. Obi has a very slight doggy scent, but not in an unpleasant way. I have to be really close to him to smell it.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Afghan Hounds are known to have jasmine scented indiviuals. I've never smelled a jasmine scented one myself, but it's a relatively well known phemonenon within the breed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
In general BCs have very, very little doggie odor. It's true for both of mine, though when you get really close they do each have a scent. Colby smells awesome and always has, though I can't pinpoint exactly what the scent is... Ace, on the other hand, does not. Grant it, he's teething now, which is making his breath funky, but in general he has a metallic sort of smell. Even when he supposedly smelled like "puppy smell," I always thought he smelled vaguely like a hospital.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She does have a very faint smell - not one that I can put a name to but you won't smell it unless you actually put your nose in her fur.
That's how it is with Aleu. You have to really be trying to find it, but other than that she's doesn't stink. I only recently discovered that sibes are supposed to "groom themselves like cats." Aleu has always taken a good portion out of her day dedicated to grooming herself, but I never really noticed that she does it and none of my other dogs.

Afghan Hounds are known to have jasmine scented indiviuals. I've never smelled a jasmine scented one myself, but it's a relatively well known phemonenon within the breed.
oooOOOoo Sounds nice. I've never had the pleasure of actually seeing an Afghan so I couldn't say either.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda only has that doggy smell, not bad, I like it, its not strong and I have to stick my face in her fur to smell it (except when she is wet...then its just wet dog :p)
I do have a cat however that has a great smell.....in the summer when she's been outside a lot she smells spicy. Weird but awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dog smells like old spit. Of course it is because he's always slobbering all over the place. I try to keep the smell to an minimum, but sometimes I come back to my house and it definitely stinks like old spit.

Whoever had the dog that smelled like vanilla, you are seriously lucky. :)

Kat

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bella has a pleasant smell (to me) I must say....unless she's been rolling in woodchuck poop. She also has Frito Feets.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bella has a pleasant smell (to me) I must say....unless she's been rolling in woodchuck poop. She also has Frito Feets.
The frito feets phenomenon just makes me laugh. Remember the thread awhile back about it? Tons of people say their dogs' feet smell like fritos - I have never personally encountered it but I smell Hobbes' feet periodically to check. Definitely no fritos.

Hobbes smells like dog, but not in a bad way. If I put my face right on his fur I can smell his warm and musky doggy odor. If he's wet he stinks, but otherwise he just smells pleasantly dog-ish.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The frito feets phenomenon just makes me laugh. Remember the thread awhile back about it? Tons of people say their dogs' feet smell like fritos - I have never personally encountered it but I smell Hobbes' feet periodically to check. Definitely no fritos.

Hobbes smells like dog, but not in a bad way. If I put my face right on his fur I can smell his warm and musky doggy odor. If he's wet he stinks, but otherwise he just smells pleasantly dog-ish.
LOL...yea. I was kind of amazed that other dogs feeties smell like corn chips, too!! I wish MY feet smelled like that!

"Pleasantly dog-ish" is a good description. I could sniff on Bella all day...instant destresser. =)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Totally never knew people gave the feet thing a name! Lol! Bella has "frito feet" as it were. I love the way they smell.

My parents and boyfriend think I'm crazy since I smell her feet -_-

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy had no smell at all, unless I bathed him, in which case he smelled like a skunk for a month. (He did have a terrible runin with a skunk when he was young, maybe that was it.) So I brushed him every day, but I never bathed him.

Kabota smelled horrendous when I got him, which I'm told is normal for dogs kept in crates 24/7 for long periods of time. After 2 baths 6 weeks apart and lots of brushing, he smelled like a dog. I don't know how else to describe it. I like the smell. I find it relaxing and when I going to bed, I put my nose into his fur and just breathe it in until I go to sleep. He does get a bit ripe after 6 weeks, so I have him groomed every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I find Loki smells like a hospital and sometimes baby powder ... I thought it was just puppyness! And dito on the "wet dog" smell - even the smallest amount of water or rain and its almost rancid ( I'm used to only cats so dog smell gets to me)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That's how it is with Aleu. You have to really be trying to find it, but other than that she's doesn't stink. I only recently discovered that sibes are supposed to "groom themselves like cats." Aleu has always taken a good portion out of her day dedicated to grooming herself, but I never really noticed that she does it and none of my other dogs.
Really? o_O That was one of the first things I learned about Siberians. Bella is meticulously clean.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My neighbor heats his house with a wood stove. Dexter has a nice fireplace smell.

He smells like bounce when I do laundry though. He waits by the dryer and just rolls around the bounce sheets.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts