Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 week pup has the runs all the time and I just started feeding her a no grain high protein food. She is eating some mushrooms in the backyard. I have no idea where she gets them from. I look all over for them and can't find any. I think she digs them up. She just started having the runs about 2 weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
If you changed your pup's food cold turkey, it can really mess up their digestive system. Food should be changed gradually over a 2-4 week period. You don't want to cause a bout of pancreatitis. Also, a large breed puppy shouldn't really be fed a kibble with protein higher than 28%. Too high of a protein can make them grow too fast, causing joint problems down the road.

The mushrooms concern me too, since many are poisonous. A trip to the vet may be in order. I wouldn't leave the pup unattended in the back yard at this stage, b/c they WILL eat anything they can get their mouths on, as you've already experienced.

Has your pup been tested for parasites recently? Worms can cause diahrrea.

You can try adding a spoonful of plain pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to each feeding to help firm things up. I do think you should schedule an appt. with your vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am taking her to the vet on friday. I was thinking worms too. I hope not. It just came on when I switched her food so hopefully it's just that and I will be taking her off of it gradually this week. What kind of pumkin? the one in a can that is just pumpkin puree? I did give her some of that (hope it's the right kind) but it didn't help. I'll keep an eye on the mushrooms..I assume that's what they are..they look like dehydrated potatoes. I had no idea what it was because it looked all rotten and wilted but I think that's what it is. Thanks for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
You may need to put her on a leash and walk her to keep her from getting to the mushrooms till you can find them. Some wild mushrooms will actually kill a dog. Actually know someone that had a Scottie,it ate mushrooms from their yard and the type it ate attacked the kidneys and almost 2 weeks later and lots of money spent at the vets the dog died. So best not risk it.

I also agree a full vet check is a good idea and that if you switched the foods all of a sudden that could be an issue as well. And some foods just don't work for some dogs. Doesn't matter what they cost if it doesn't work for your dog it isn't good for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
mushrooms are a serious problem. my chloe ate them and ended up with mushroom toxicity and an emegency vet visit. she had to have activated charcoal, enimas and sub q fluids, plus an overnight stay...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh my gosh..I never thought I could really have toxic mushrooms,. I just thought they would give an upset tummy. Thanks for the stories. I will comb my yard for them and I'll see what the vet says at her check up. I have her in a pen while i'm at work so she doesn't get to them during the day.My other dog never had any problems when he ate the mushrooms so I assumed they weren't toxic or anything but every dog is different and who knows what is growing in my yard these days.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top