Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my boyfriend's sister came over with her Aussie, Sasha. Basil was getting anxious, and needed a walk, so I offered to take Sasha along with us. Before we left, she mentioned that Sasha gets several walks a day. Well, the walk went well, though it was midday in Texas, so it was pretty flippin' hot out, probably between 90 and 100 degrees. When we got back, I gave them each a big bowl of water and a couple of ice cubes, and we settled down in the living room. Basil flopped over on his side and didn't pant at all, just calmly inhaled and exhaled through his nose. However, Sasha was full on panting, mouth wide open, with her body rocking around with each hasty breath like she had just run a flippin' marathon! There was drool EVERYWHERE, too, and Basil never drools. Does this seem odd to you? They're both about a year and a half, but Basil's an extremely low energy Papillon (who sometimes skips walks on some days, though it doesn't phase him much), and Sasha is a very hyper crazy Aussie that supposedly gets several walks a day. Wouldn't you think she'd be more fit, or at least be able to keep up with/surpass my lazy little Papillon, being an Aussie of all breeds? She kind of does breath like that all the time, mouth hanging open and her whole body rocking a little, and it seems like anxiety to me. But she looked plain TIRED! She never pants THIS hard.

Would this be something to be concerned about? Just seems so weird to me. Also, Sasha doesn't eat very high quality food, like Dog Chow, while Basil gets Blue Wilderness, a high quality, high protein kibble. Would this have something to do with it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I could take Taylor out for a 40 minute jog or a 20 minute walk and he still comes back a slobbering silly dog when's done *lol. Tons of drool, panting and a big doggy smile, also he eats Orijen so he gets a good diet. Not really sure what's normal for most dogs, just what's normal for him.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**Shrug** I guess I'm so baffled because supposedly Sasha gets a lot more exercise then Basil, and she's a much higher energy breed, but it seems like Basil has so much more endurance then she does! Aussies were bred to chase around sheep all day, but Papillons... not so much, lol!

Just wondering if there might be something wrong with Sasha. I hope not, though!!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I would guess that size has more to do with it than anything; even for a medium-sized dog like an Aussie, heat dissipation is still going to be slower than for a Pap. From what I remember of the Texas summer, the humidity was probably a big factor, too; high humidity prevents water from evaporating from her tongue and paw pads, slowing heat dissipation.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i'd say it would be a culmination of so many things. she has a much thicker coat than your papillon and it was a VERY hot day. the nervous excited energy has a lot to do with the panting as well, new place, new dog, new smells, plus heat = panty, slobbery dog

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
is she properly groomed? aussies can have a hard time regulating their body temp if they have ungroomed undercoat. that can cause a lot of heat to be retained

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks :) Basil does have a much thinner coat, and I guess his big ears may help him cool off quicker, too.

is she properly groomed? aussies can have a hard time regulating their body temp if they have ungroomed undercoat. that can cause a lot of heat to be retained
Actually, I have no idea when she was last bathed or brushed, but she does have an exceptionally greasy coat that sheds quite a bit. That probably contributes greatly to the heat problem. Basil is bathed once a week and brushed one or two times a day, so his coat is in very good shape.

Oh, I also have an idea, tell me what y'all think :) Since most of my favorite breeds tend to have very thick coats (Samoyeds, Keeshonden, Corgis) I've given some though on how to keep a dog cool in Texas. I was thinking, maybe a good way to keep a dog cool would be to get an appropriately sized bandanna, soak it in water, put it in the freezer (just long enough to get it nice and cold, not frozen solid) and tie it around your dogs neck for the walk. Do you think that would work very well? I also have some old Under Armor shirts from back when I was in the high school marching band, and I've thought about making some doggy Under Armor shirts for Basil to help him keep cool. However, since dogs don't sweat, do you think this would work very well?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks :) Basil does have a much thinner coat, and I guess his big ears may help him cool off quicker, too.

Actually, I have no idea when she was last bathed or brushed, but she does have an exceptionally greasy coat that sheds quite a bit. That probably contributes greatly to the heat problem. Basil is bathed once a week and brushed one or two times a day, so his coat is in very good shape.

Oh, I also have an idea, tell me what y'all think :) Since most of my favorite breeds tend to have very thick coats (Samoyeds, Keeshonden, Corgis) I've given some though on how to keep a dog cool in Texas. I was thinking, maybe a good way to keep a dog cool would be to get an appropriately sized bandanna, soak it in water, put it in the freezer (just long enough to get it nice and cold, not frozen solid) and tie it around your dogs neck for the walk. Do you think that would work very well? I also have some old Under Armor shirts from back when I was in the high school marching band, and I've thought about making some doggy Under Armor shirts for Basil to help him keep cool. However, since dogs don't sweat, do you think this would work very well?
you'd be surprised on how much the dogs body temperature would quickly heat the bandanna and make it just hot and damp. i would just hose the dog off with cool water or bring him inside after the walk, and be smart about when you walk them, either early morning or evening on hot days...

·
Registered
9,131 Posts

that probably wouldn't do much good considering that dogs actually lose most of their body heat in their inner thigh and groin area

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was thinking, maybe a good way to keep a dog cool would be to get an appropriately sized bandanna, soak it in water, put it in the freezer (just long enough to get it nice and cold, not frozen solid) and tie it around your dogs neck for the walk.
Check out this site, maybe this could give you a few ideas
http://www.keepcool.org.uk/Home.htm
I have no experience with one of these coats, but stumbled across this site a while back

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just an FYI - My BBD Toby could run circles around Fergus. But when we go for walks, it's Toby who appears to be the most fatigued when finished. I know for a fact though that Toby would be willing to jog another 5 miles if I could keep up but Fergus is whiped out. Just looking at the two though you wouldn't be able to tell. I guess my point is - don't judge a book by its cover.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
here's my observation on this idea....at the dog club we have a kiddie pool that we can fill for the dogs when we're there....i have found w/ mine that if i fill it more than, say, 1/3 full, where they get most of their body wet, they get hot faster than if it is 1/3-less filled....also, if i hose them down b/4 they run on hot, sunny days, they heat up faster....the water attracts the suns rays more, thus they get hot....when they can just lay in the water up to the bottom of the ribs, only cooling the lower extremities, they keep a lot cooler....where the bandana might work for a short time on a short haired dog, i don't think it'd do much good for a dog w/ coat that the coolness has to get thru....

when we're done at the club, if it is really hot out, i will hose them down, give them one quick run to "shake out" the excess and then we go home in a nice cool, air conditioned van.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well after last night I have a totally different perspective!!! I was visiting my neighbor and we decided to have a girls night with 'He's Just Not That Into You' and a bottle of shiraz and gossip and I took Taylor with me ince our dogs play with each other all the time. So anyways, Taylor spends lots of time with Sable and knows the folks next door very well and all that jazz.
Well after the dogs played in the back yard we brought them in and Taylor was doing all the same behaviour as Sasha, it's not over heating or excersize is nervous excitement!! It was so easy to see in person and put it into context, he was in a reasonably new environment with other people, another dog, and a cat somewhere in the house. Where normally he flops over and relaxes after a play in the yard he was buzzing with nervous energy and excitement over the different house, the dog he wants to play with and a cat he really, really wants to find *LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts