Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my girl got spayed yesterday. Came home last night groggy, but mostly fine. Today, I noticed some swelling and a little blood coming through. She had sutures inside with the skin glued shut.

I brought her to the vet just to be on the safe side (I've never had a girl before). The receptionist took her into the back to see the vet, where they put a row of staples in to reinforce the incision.

I could hear her crying from the waiting room, and I can't get it out of my mind. She came back tail wagging and normal, but they didn't freeze the site or anything. I can only imagine how much it hurt.

Is this common practice? I used to work at this clinic, but I never witnessed anything like this before.

I've had a few minor concerns about this particular vet before, and I'm just wondering what everyone else's take on it is.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You can always call your state veterinary board and ask if the vet has ever had any complaints, formal or informal hearings, or disciplinary actions taken against him/her. If there seems to be previous problems then I would find another vet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The vet that I go to offered to staple my dog's leg for me, I asked if she'll have it numbed or anything and they also said no. Apparently it's general practice to do this without any pain relief! I was so shocked it seems really brutal, but apparently because it's fast it's over and done with really quickly so they feel no need :/

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I think the pain would be minor. I've had multiple body piercings and the sting is only slight and lasts about 2 seconds. Staples would be about the same. The dog probably yelped because it startled.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. It seems really brutal to me. Maybe just because I heard her crying? They also prescribed her pain meds without even mentioning the long list of possible side effects. She was done three days ago and still spends the majority of her time sleeping. I think I'll be looking for a new vet soon.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Would you want your doctor making you cry out in pain? Seems like something that could have been avoided with a little topical numbing cream. I would definitely ask the doctor why she was screaming out like that, and then find another vet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had stitches with no anesthetic. It's not fun but it's FAR from the worst pain I've felt, and staples would be over much faster. However, it does sound like you haven't clicked with this vet and don't entirely trust them, so yeah, I'd start looking for a new one. Ask your friends about their vets; people are usually happy to make recommendations.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had stitches with no anesthetic. It's not fun but it's FAR from the worst pain I've felt, and staples would be over much faster. However, it does sound like you haven't clicked with this vet and don't entirely trust them, so yeah, I'd start looking for a new one. Ask your friends about their vets; people are usually happy to make recommendations.
Yikes! I can't imagine it, maybe because I think I'm a little squeamish about raw edges of wounds.

The vet who actually did her surgery is pretty good, I think. I'm annoyed they gave us pain meds but didn't mention side effects, but I think that's more of a clinic problem than the specific vet. And the one who put the staples in is the one who owns the clinic with her husband, and I've had minor problems with her before. When it comes down to it, I'll likely have trouble trusting any vet totally, because I've been burned before and my dogs mean so much to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts