Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to run with my dog, a 40 lb. mix of, I believe, some or all of the following: Australian Cattle Dog, husky, Shiba Inu, and Carolina Dog. She loves to run. I have had her looked at by a vet during a routine visit for shots and I asked the vet to check her hips to make sure she was okay to run with me. The vet did a quick manual check of her hips and legs and thought she was totally fine. That was about a year ago, when my dog was probably around 1-2 years old.

She runs just like this husky in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-s1PocbjK4

Does anybody think that run looks unhealthy? Like this husky, when my dog runs, she will alternate between having her back legs move as though she is walking (but faster) and having them move so that they come down on the ground closer in time to eachother. Maybe it's because I run at a speed that is not a natural pace for her?

I think I'm being paranoid! Does anybody have an opinion on this? Does that run look healthy or does it look like the dog has hip issues?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Looks to me like the dog is just alternating between a full out run, a slower run, and a sort of half-trot in response to how fast the bike is going. Looks fine to me. The only thing I don't like about it is that the dog's harness really shouldn't be clipped in front IMO.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I just loved watching that! It was mesmerizing.
Looks like a completely healthy dog having a terrific time!!!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well, yes, but it's also probably easier for the dog to get jerked or whipped around. I'd worry about more potential for injury if the dog does bolt after something. JMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have been more clear that the video isn't actually my dog. My dog just runs the same way. Thank you everybody for looking at the video and giving me an opinion.

Biking with a dog kind of scares me in general, but maybe because I know how my dog is. Any random squirrel could be the end of both of us!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts