Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there - first post so bare w/me please. I have a 2.5 yr old Malti-Poo who the vet (which I love) thinks may have IBD. I just switched him on the Vet Prescribed IAMS Low Residue dog food especially made for dogs with IBD or any sensitive stomach issue. Before this JD was on a gluten free food (**** Van Pattens LID) for about 9 months that solved his prior loose and frequent stool problem. The gluten free food had him going twice a day with stools that could be picked up immediately. The loose stool and frequent and middle of the night occurances started again about a month ago.

Since the Vet Prescribed food JD now only goes once a day and it is the proper consistency. My concern is his only going once a day. I have HEARD that the better the food (less fillers) that a dog may only go once a day or less than he/she had. Any one out there with any experience with this situation? I would appreciate other's input if so.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Better food with less filler can cause fewer stools. However, IBD is literally "Irritable Bowel Disease"...irritable...dog's bowel is spasming so it needs to empty frequently, or feels like it does. So in your dog's case it is not lack of fillers because Iams is loaded with it. But rather, it is the right food for your dog's gut at the moment. Be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Briteday,
I thought IAMS Low Residue was predominantly fillers, so that is what concerns me I guess too. And if this is the ultimate dog food for dogs with IBD then my concern is what if JD's is only intermittent but we have his body get used to this food now while he is young and then the condition worsens. Questions that probably can't be answered. :)
I agree - I am happy we found a food he likes and works with his tummy now. I just hope he is good with it for a long time.
We see his vet in less than three weeks so all questions for him.
thanks again and have a great day - hopefully you can walk your dog! Just got done doing that but here in AZ it is already too hot for me! :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My dog only has a bm once a day, recently it's every other day... Which I've mentioned my concern with his vet and the guy said that Donatello is quite healthy, and that the food he is on works well enough with his body that's not producing a lot of waste causing him to have more bms... He said something along those lines... And I believe Donatello's quite healthy myself, so it doesn't really raise any concerns...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - I was thinking along those same lines as well. Donatello is adorable!!!!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thank you, he is a cutie. ; )

The only thing my vet said is if it looks like he's really trying to poo, and straining, and nothing is coming out, if that happens a lot or even frequent, or it looks like he's in pain to bring him in...

That's not Donatello's case at all... He's just picky. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey JD's Mom

I hate to put a downer on this, but really want to jump in here.

Firstly, it's great that JD is seemingly doing better on the new food, but I have to tell you. IAMS really is one of the worst dog foods on the planet. IMHO it's disgraceful that vets recommend it and take money for it!

Look at the first 3 ingredients alone ...

Corn Grits, Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal

This is the majority of the food. Fillers are one thing, but low quality junk fillers such as these!??? And chicken by-product??? :eek: Don't touch anything that says by-product. In a nutshell it's saying it is any part of the chicken whether it's the feathers, the beak, the eyes, whatever! And you'll never know! Junk, junk, junk!

Can you not shop around for a good quality low residue food and see how that goes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is info I didn't want to hear but know confirms my thoughts. I agree completely! Thanks - do you know of any other intestinal low residue foods out there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts