Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Only if you allow it to become a habit. Simply redirect the energy...he's looking for something to do. Engage them in fetch, sniff and find, tricks, basic obedience and/or go for a walk.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have two spayed female dogs and they do this. One does it to the other's head, she hasn't gotten the hang of it. For dogs once they are fixed or if they are girls, it's a dominance thing not a sexual thing.

I do tell them no and they are much better.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
"Does the humping stop?"

Yes, after you get married....Oh WAIT! You were talking about DOGS!!! Never mind.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
"Does the humping stop?"

Yes, after you get married....Oh WAIT! You were talking about DOGS!!! Never mind.
You mean you can't shape it after being married? I need to tell my gf this. She will not be happy.
Why do dogs hump? Is it dominance? Aggression? Fun? Sexual? Can you take any natural behavior and elicit it on cue, or use the behavior to reward other behaviors?

Buffy (yes a girl dog) mounts her female trainer on command.

This clip is not included in the original DVD, but this outtake is released here to demonstrate how ANY behavior can be captured, reinforced and cemented.

Yes, Jean was able to train, via shaping by successive approximation, mounting and thrusting in a spayed female dog.

Nobody was hurt, she doesn't advocate anybody else doing it and if you don't think it's "appropriate" then avert your eyes.

You just had to watch, didn't you?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Why would someone want to teach that? (funny though it is :D)
I would presume to make light of the silliness in dominance theory, if I know Jean at all. The first thing usually spouted out when dogs hump is...oh, it's a dominance thing. Is it really? Not as often as it's spouted out IMO. It is just another behavior following the laws of basic learning theory, and Jean demonstrates this precisely with the wit I would expect from her. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts