Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, l presently have a 2 1/2 year old neutered male shichi mix named Rocky. He had been rehomed 3x before he got to my place at 6 months. First was the original owner who may have scared him. The next two were extended family members who took him as l waited release from the hospital. They were very loving towards him and it shows by the excitement level for them everytime we see them. Rocky is with me all day, ever day. l hardly ever leave him alone.My daughter -in -law lives in the upper level of my duplex.

Rocky manges to get free and runs crazy through the neighbourhood barking at everything.. l have tried to get him to respond to my commands to come but he will not listen or bat an eye. Its like im not ever their. I am alo disabled and cannot walk to go get him. When he gets loose, l ask my daughter in law, who has not spent that much time with him to call him. She will come out and immediately, Rocky listens to her from 100 feet away. he stops, crutches down and crawls to her. Its amazing, frustrating and embarrassing.

Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could be that the dog is confused since he has been under the care of more than one person? How long have you had him home with you? Maybe he just needs to get use to your voice and your commands? Have you tried training him to respond to your voice, following up with a treat and telling him he's a good boy? I wish you all the best with Rocky.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
If your daughter-in-law will help you, then both of you can train Rocky to come to you.
1. Pick a room for training, such as the living room or kitchen.
2. Have your DIL call Rocky and give him a small treat when he comes.
3.Then have your DIL call Rocky, and You give him the treat and praise him when he comes. Repeat 5 - 10 times.
4. Now, you call Rocky, and give him a treat and praise him if he comes, while your DIL ignores him.
5. If Rocky does Not come, then ask your DIL to just say "Rocky", just after you call him. Praise & Treat on success.
6. Be patient with the process and do it every day. The idea is to incrementally and gradually transfer the Come cue from your DIL to you, in Rocky's mind. It may take 2- 4 weeks before Rocky is consistent.
7. When Rocky will come to you 5 - 10 times successfully, without 'help' from your DIL, and you can repeat this success two days in a row, then you are ready for the next step.

8. Find a fenced in yard or empty dog park, etc.
9. Start at Step #2 above, and go through the entire process Steps 2 - 7, outside.
10. When you're finished, you should have about 2 months of Come training under your belt with Rocky.

It may be frustrating and Rocky may backtrack or forget his training, but keep going. Depending on your confidence and on your DIL, you might try the same process with allowing Rocky to 'run free' to train him to come when called?

Note:
While you are training above, you might also train Rocky to sit and not run, when you open the door.
You can look through many videos to train Rocky to Sit. Find one that you like, after he learns to Sit for you, try this:
1. In the apartment, take Rocky into a room with you and close the door. Sit down for a moment.
2. Get up and go to the door. If Rocky rushes the door, stop and stand at the door for a moment, try to wait 2 min. for Rocky to sit. If he doesn't get bored and Sit, ask him to Sit, and wait 2 minutes. Go back and sit down.
3. After a moment, Repeat Step #2. You have to be more persistent than Rocky. Repeat this process until Rocky either sits at the door, or at least doesn't get excited.
4. Next Step, put your hand on the door knob. If Rocky sits or remains quiet, praise him. If not, remove you hand from the door knob. If he still doesn't sit, go back and sit down, and Repeat Step #2.
5. Continue this idea, with turning the knob, moving the door without opening, opening the door without letting Rocky out, and finally stepping through the door. It may sound complicated, but it just breaks down the process into small steps that Rocky will learn to recognize...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts