Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my puppy is 6 months, and he doesn't eat well. I feed him twice a day and half cup ProPlan Blender each meal. He just pick up the big trunk of chicken in the food and doesn't eat any others. And after picking the chicken trunks, he turn the bow over, let food everywhere.

If I just leave the dog food in the crate for whole day and don't give him anything else for eat, he's just fine.

And when I put him in the crate in order to have him eat, he screams or barks, won't eat.

He also barks at anybody who passes by when he's on a walk. Especially to children. But when people really approach him, he is nice to them.

The crate and barking thing makes me feel he's nervous about the crate and people. He hate's the crate, now he's nervous if he's there by himself. The thing is I don't have time to accompany him finish every meal, I have to leave early in the morning, he has to finish that meal by himself.

At first I though my puppy behaves like this because he's not getting enough exercises, so I try to take him to the dog park as frequently as I could (I don't dare playing with him in front of the apartment 'coz he will dashing to passers-by and bark at them, that will put him in danger of getting hit by cars, also may scare others.),howeverm, he won't play with other dogs in the park. When we are in the park, he just stay with humen.

Also I feel he's somehow distrusting me and my boyfriend. Like not every time we call him, he comes (he's afraid of being crated after coming maybe?); In the dog park, he doesn't cling on us, he stays with other people a lot(well, that really hurts). I feel he is nervous, that's why he can't stay with himself, and barks a lot. But I don't know how to make him relax? And how to restore his trust on us?

Another question is, I read from the book that for the attention seeking barking or complaining sounds, I should ignore it.But seems the ignoring doesn't shut him up. It is like, he barks several times, I leave the room to show I'm not glad with barking, then upon my leave he will start screaming. If screaming several times and I still don't show up, he enlarge the volumn.

That's the same on jumping, he jumps for petting. We turn and show him the back to show that we don't like jumping. Instead of sitting down, he tries to jump and bite at the bottom of our clothes!

I feel the whole thing is nervous and distrusting, what am I suppose to do to get the problem solved? He's cute, but if he's so nervous that he really make me nervous, it will be hard for both of us.

In my case, do I need a personal trainer? (My puppy already finished training courses.)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Training in dogs is continuous. You cannot just take on 6 week puppy course and leave it at that...not only is your boy now a teenager but you obviously need more help/training. Training classes are more about teaching the humans how to train their dogs than it is about the dog itself learning a lot...lol.
You don't mention what breed your puppy is, not that it makes a huge amount of difference in the "basics" but can make a difference when determining what sort and how much exercise he needs.

You have many different things you mentioned. I will try to help with a couple.

The food: Have you tried a different type of food? Have you tried taking the food away if he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes? If he only likes the chicken part of the food then I would go find a GOOD quality chicken based kibble and forget about the multi flavour stuff. He's most likely skinny due to his age, how much of the food you are using do you feed him per day? What kind is it?

His Kennel:
Play crate games with him. Help to reassociate the crate with good things. Work up to using it even when you are there in the room, so that he realizes it is not a "she's going away!!!" issue. Do not ever use it for punishment and make sure each and every time he is in it he gets a really good treat/kong/bully stick.

For his recall/coming to you:
Never use "come" to get him to come to you for something he doesn't like. Like going in the crate, getting his nails clipped etc. ONLY use it for calling him to you for GOOD stuff! You need to make the come cue a purely positive thing each and every time. If you feel you may have messed it up already (many do) then choose a new cue word and train it again (like "here") only ever rewarding him coming to you..and make it a good reward based on the distractions. IN the house a regular treat is fine, outside the house where there are squirrels, people,other dogs etc that reward better be pretty darn good! Only use the cue ONCE, no repeats. If he doesn't come, either go get him or laugh/giggle/dance/wave your arms/jump up and down/ call his name, run in the opposite direction..whatever you need to attract his attention and get him to follow you.

For greetings. Teach him a really good strong SIT. He must only be allowed to greet others if he sits first. This will help teach him self control. It's hard work for him. Be patient.

For the jumping..same as above. Work on the sit. Because he still goes and grabs your clothes you can work on it by restraining him. Either you or your boyfriend has the dog on leash (relatively short leash.) The person without the leash approaches the dog for petting, ask for a sit. If he jumps you back away and turn your back. Turn back towards the dog, ask for a sit....repeat repeat repeat. This way the person with the leash can prevent the pup from following you when you turn away. Practice this a LOT and be consistent, no talking when he's jumping, no touching, etc just walk away. REWARD each and every sit that occurs with a small treat and some attention and praise.

For the "trust thing"...work with him, praise him when he's good, make sure he gets a couple of good training sessions a day and a couple of good walks. Practice ignoring him sometimes so that he learns to do his own thing in the kennel. Don't yell and don't feel badly. Get a trainer in to assess whether he is truly a shy dog or not and to help you learn how to deal with it. Don't be offended if your dog is not right by your side at the park, regardless of whether he wants to play with other dogs or visit other people..that's YOUR issue, not his! He doesn't desert you out of spite or distrust..he's checking out other folks and smells and that is a good thing (providing you have worked on your recall!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
While training your dog can be difficult, with hard work and perseverance I'm sure your dog will turn out fine. your dog is still young! My dog was difficult while he was young too but now he behaves great! Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts