Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looks ok to me. How old is he/she?? What are you feeding? And how much? Is she active?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks good to me too. A good way to tell is that you should be able to feel your dogs ribs easily. If they're hard to find, your dog is probably overweight.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Double Post

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks ok to me. How old is he/she?? What are you feeding? And how much? Is she active?
Shes 3months, we feed her dog food and only dog food (healthy choice) + treats when teaching her.tricks..We.refill her.food bowl whenever its low, which is usually once a week, and its a small bowl, no bigger then a regualr human p
Soup plate. And she is constantly running.around outside

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sounds like you are free feeding which can increase the chances that the dog will eat more than if they are on a rationed amount. Free feeding also lends itself to other problems too in that you don't know when she is hungry (ie. more receptive to training with food), you don't know how much she has eaten in a day (to monitor her health), you don't know the last time she ate (for potty and surgery purposes), and in the case of some kind of emergency she doesn't know how to eat a full meal when its given to her (in situations when she needs to eat on a schedule due to being kenneled or something). I'm not telling you what to do, just that free feeding does lend itself to some problems which I don't know if you are aware of.

From the pictures she looks fine to me. If you can feel her ribs then she is fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you are free feeding which can increase the chances that the dog will eat more than if they are on a rationed amount. Free feeding also lends itself to other problems too in that you don't know when she is hungry (ie. more receptive to training with food), you don't know how much she has eaten in a day (to monitor her health), you don't know the last time she ate (for potty and surgery purposes), and in the case of some kind of emergency she doesn't know how to eat a full meal when its given to her (in situations when she needs to eat on a schedule due to being kenneled or something). I'm not telling you what to do, just that free feeding does lend itself to some problems which I don't know if you are aware of.

From the pictures she looks fine to me. If you can feel her ribs then she is fine.
Thank you! The vet said to free Fed her for alittle though, just.so she knows she does have food. Soon I will start regulating her food.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thank you! The vet said to free Fed her for alittle though, just.so she knows she does have food. Soon I will start regulating her food.
Ah ok. Thank you for the clarification. She sure is a cutie!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She looks fine to me. The rule of thumb is relax one hand, then feel the back of that hand with the other. That's what your dog's ribs should feel like- easily felt under a layer of flesh.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She looks fine to me. The rule of thumb is relax one hand, then feel the back of that hand with the other. That's what your dog's ribs should feel like- easily felt under a layer of flesh.
Just tried this, I easily felt her ribs. Also her fur is very very thick, that may give her.the appearance of being bigger.

·
Registered
179 Posts
On free feeding- you may have to transition to regular feeding, you may not. My standard poodle has been free fed for 10 years and never gotten fat. My havanese is 3 years old and we have to change to regulated meals because she's getting overweight. However, I would suggest cutting down the amount of food you put out so you have some idea of how much your dog is eating so you will notice when it changes. We have figured out the amount of dog food that works so we have to refill the bowl once a day.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
At only 3 months old, they are supposed to be a little "pudgier". They've still got that puppy fat! haha. I would worry about her weight as she gets older. Also, Westies have more of that hour glass shape to begin with.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
At only 3 months old, they are supposed to be a little "pudgier". They've still got that puppy fat! haha. I would worry about her weight as she gets older. Also, Westies have more of that hour glass shape to begin with.
Haha thanks! But shes not a westie lol

Holy heck she is WAY too cute!! :)
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
HA!! The title of this post made me laugh out loud. It strikes me as a funny variation on "does this outfit make me look fat?" I can just imagine your little puppy looking over at you asking this with just a hint of insecurity. So let me ask, does she get muffin top in her favorite jeans? Is she standing in front of the mirror frowning at the extra "junk in her trunk"? Probably as a good owner you should tell her she looks great and you'll love her at any weight anyways ;) I have nothing to add to the great advice you've already gotten, just wanted to share how happy this made me!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My dog was free feeding just fine but I transitioned to meals because it worked better and I enjoy mealtimes because I sometimes get busy as a student with a job and it gives me a chance to spend some time with my dog :) It also has made switching to raw so much easier because right now I can split the kibble and raw 50/50 perfectly and she's not looking for more. She even self-regulates a bit with the raw now, but if I had went from free fed to raw she would most definitely not have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HA!! The title of this post made me laugh out loud. It strikes me as a funny variation on "does this outfit make me look fat?" I can just imagine your little puppy looking over at you asking this with just a hint of insecurity. So let me ask, does she get muffin top in her favorite jeans? Is she standing in front of the mirror frowning at the extra "junk in her trunk"? Probably as a good owner you should tell her she looks great and you'll love her at any weight anyways ;) I have nothing to add to the great advice you've already gotten, just wanted to share how happy this made me!
Haha well thanks!&of,course I love my little princess regualrdess, just wanna make sure shes healthy!haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts