Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had surgery on both knees last fall and when he got off the pain meds, he started throwing up hard food (white foamy throwup). My vet and I think it's an ulcer caused by the meds. He's gone thru lots of tests and x-rays and no problem has been found, but these tests can't show an ulcer. He's been on Rx meds for a few months now and is still on Sucralfate and Pepcid, but he's not improving. We feed him canned food and rice, but he still throws up every now and then and can't have anything hard (no dry food). Here are my options:
- purchase a homeopathic/herbal supplement I found online that may help (take him off Sucralfate & Pepcid)
- do a upper GI test that will check for obstructions and stomach/intestines but still may not show an ulcer (costs a few hundred dollars)
- do a scope test (endoscopy?) where they put something down his throat, but it will not check the intestines

On another forum, one person said "Foamy vomit is usual bile, not from an ulcer." Is that true? I need advice on what kind of test should be done next.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The ulcers I have seen in the past had dogs that threw up what looked like coffee grounds...(blood). Foamy bile usually is from an empty stomach.
Try feeding a grain free food. Could be allergies to grain. Feed twice a day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts