Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Does it sound like my dog really dislikes me?

999 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jen2010 
#1 ·
So I adopted a 14 year old yorkie over a week ago and I don’t know what to make of our relationship. I live by myself and he is very clingy. He follows me everywhere and cries when he is apart from me. He likes to lay on the bed with me and will whine until I put him on the bed. He is always looking at me and wanting human food. He’s got separation anxiety but he’s not affectionate. He doesn’t like when I hold him like a baby or try to kiss him/cuddle. But he follows me everywhere. Something odd about this or?

#2 ·
He's 14.. it's perfectly normal for a dog of that age to take time to adjust to a new owner and life. That said, it seems like he is adjusting to you just fine and quite likes your presence a lot! He is seeking you out, if he did not like you he would avoid you. But you are pushing your own wants on him. He is a dog, not a human child. While some dogs enjoy being hugged and cuddled, it is not a very normal behavior for dogs. So it is not uncommon for dogs to dislike being hugged and fawned over if it is not something they grew up with. I find most dogs do not like being held like a baby.

By the sounds of it, he enjoys being around you but prefers to be treated as a canine and not a baby. Nothing wrong with that. Respect his boundaries and he will continue to bond with you just fine. Congrats on the new dog! Enjoy him, seniors are the best :)

#3 ·
As time goes by, the 'following you around' everywhere will subside. The dog appreciates you and would not follow you around if he did not. Our dog was a rescue and did the same thing. (She was abandoned in the middle of a thunderstorm and lived on the streets for a year till someone was kind enough to take her to the local shelter.) She would not leave my husband's side when we first brought her home. We did a lot of bonding activities with her (play time, car rides, tummy rubs at bed time, etc.). Once she realized she was in her forever home, and she got use to us and a got into a daily routine, she was fine. It just takes time to bond and become 'a pack'. And always remember that dogs are pack animals, and that you should be the first one through the door and then he should follow, as this shows you are the leader of the pack. Pertaining to feeding human food, please be careful. If you give your dog fast food or salty or sugary or greasy food - all of this is really hard on their liver and can give them pancreatitis or liver disease and/or anal gland problems. With that said, I make my dog's food because commercial dog food is really bad. You can message me for recipes or there are some good books on the subject on Amazon. We have had our dog for 9 years now and she is 13 years old and in very good health and I attribute that to all of the research on food that I have done (and I would discuss my recipes and research with our vet). I make two week's worth of food and bag it in portion sizes and then freeze it and take out what she needs for a day or two. Its not that hard. Congratulations on your new fur baby, and thank you for adopting a senior!

#6 ·
It sounds like he is doing very well and definitely likes you. Some dogs are just not affectionate. We have one dog who is a total cuddle bug and one dog who is not affectionate at all. She is very happy, friendly, and excitable, she's just not affectionate and doesn't like to be "smothered" by us. That's okay :) Every once in a while she'll come to us for some pets, but that's all she wants.

Also - your dog is 14. He might be physically uncomfortable when you pick him up or hold him a certain way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.