Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I wasn't planning on posting this but the only other person it seems on the planet who understands is my husband. I need to talk to other dog lovers.

This is about my Toy Poodle Zack. I never wanted to acknowledge this before but you all were right about a few things.

Anyways if you remember Zack had a lot of tummy problems since he was a bit younger. He is 1 year and 2 months of age right now. He was diagnosed with Pancreatitis on Tuesday. Acute Pancreatitis, thank goodness it wasn't bad. But once again we were told his parents never should have been bred together. And that may be true but I also feel he is supposed to be here. He saved my grandfathers life more than once. He has touched the lives of everyone he has come in contact with. He is a very special boy.

He has really bad respiratory allergies (which many dogs have)

Also before we got him fixed they said he had a genetic problem (his one testicle refused to drop) and they said one or both parents carried a gene that caused that. And they shouldn't have been bred together.

Okay so he is badly bred. But I also have another dog who was badly bred (obviously because she is a mutt from an accidental litter)

And she is the healthiest dog I know, so far the healthiest dog I've ever had. And I'm very grateful that Sasha is so healthy because I don't know if I could handle it if they both had problems.

I worry about Zack a lot more now. Obviously he is predisposed to stuff and who knows how good his immunity really is. I will always care for him and make sure he has the best medical care possible no doubt about that. But I'm scared I really am. The other day he coughed up blood and I rushed him into the vet and all I could think about is My little boy dog might not get through this. And he did, I shouldn't have doubted My Zack he is a fighter. After all he was the only surviving pup in his litter.

And at times I'm upset with my mother in law after all she found him for us and assured us he was coming from a good place (she used to live in the town he came from and knew a bunch of people out there) so we drove 3 hours to get him. But I can't be mad at her because he has touched our lives and so many others and had he been with someone else who knows where he would be. Atleast he gets the love and care he needs with us. And it may seem like a burden but its not, He is worth all the heartache and all the money it takes to make him feel better.

He is my perfect little boy. I'm just scared to know whats next. He is only a year old. We've been doing a lot of praying lately that things will be easier on him. I can't stand to see him sick or hurting. He is actually recovering quite quickly and I attribute that to whoever is watching out for him.

I'll stand beside him until the end I just hope the end is still a very long time from now.

I love him so much.

My husband said something the other night and though I told him it wasn't so i think he is right.

He said he was worried about me because had something happened to Zack he would morn for a long time but he said I would never be able to get over it. I would never be able to get over it because I would think it was my fault. I would never get over it if we lost him this early in the game.

I told him it wasn't so......but its true.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
179 Posts
It always hard when one of your babies is going through stuff. All you want to do is make it better and we as moms always feel responsible. Because we are the mom and they look to us to fix it. Just know that you are doing everything in your power to make this baby better. You love him, take care of him, worry over him and get him the medical attention that he needs. Just keep on doing what you are doing.

I am sending lots of positive thoughts ya'lls way and will keep you both in my prayers!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's hard when your pets are sick, and it doesn't matter if they are 1 or 12. Or eskie has cancer, and last year she went through a lot of difficult treatments for it. We were determined to help her get through it, and she has. But it has also eased us into the realization that her time is limited, and we should love her and enjoy her company as much as possible while we can. Don't give up on your dog, but just know that things will happen the way they happen, and you have very little control over it. Of course you'll mourn when they're gone, but all things pass with time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oh Abby, I'm so sorry your little dog has been having problems! I don't know the history about him (maybe he came from a BYB?), but it really doesn't matter now. Even the best bred dogs can have problems. It isn't your fault. And if you weren't educated about BYB at one time (if that's even the issue), at least you are open minded and sound like you have learned from your experience.

He is here now and he is very lucky to have you by the sound of it.

Me and my fur-family are sending many hugs your way and our best wishes that your little dog has a long and healthy future.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am under the impression that the breeder didn't really know what she was doing. (So I guess you could call her a byb) But we didn't know anything about bybs when we got him

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.