Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new puppy just over a week ago. He was making a strange burping sound, so we took him to the vet, but she couldn't find anything and thought it might just be indigestion, so I'm going to start giving him pepcid.

However, he has started having diarrhea. The other day he woke me up because he was trying to throwing up/coughing. He hasn't actually thrown up yet. He is also less interested in food, which is unusual for him because he used to be obsessed with it.

Yesterday, he started sniffling through his nose. It has been raining, and I was wondering if he might have a cold.

However, would a cold cause loss of appitite and diarrhea? Or could that be caused by a new situation.

Thanks,

Draba

·
Banned
221 Posts
The pepcid will cause diarrhea because it neutralizes the stomach acids. He needs stomach acids to digest food. I would stop the pepcid.

The other symptoms could be bordetella.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yep, sounds like kennel cough. Ask your vet about some antibiotics to give him and it will soon run it's course. Keep him away from other dogs until he's better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't started the pepcid yet. And we were thinking it might be kennel cough, but he isn't really coughing..... The vet heard the sound he is making and said it is highly unlikely that he has kennel cough.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Has the vet actually tested him for anything? If not, request it, or go to a new vet.

Have you brought a fecal sample in to your vet to check for parasites? Roundworms get coughed up into the dog/puppy's throat and swallowed again. They also cause diarrhea, especially in puppies.

Did your vet tell you to give pepcid, or did you just make that decision?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vet prescribed the pepcid. We have yet to test him for worms. However I know he was wormed for flatworms regularly by his breeder. We are planing on getting a fecal exam but have not yet gotten to it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have yet to test him for worms. However I know he was wormed for flatworms regularly by his breeder. We are planing on getting a fecal exam but have not yet gotten to it.
I would have this done ASAP. Puppies can go downhill FAST.

I'm very surprised the vet prescribed Pepcid before even looking at a fecal sample.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts