Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Lloyd have a coat that can be shaved and grow back normally? I know with double coated dogs you aren't supposed to have them shaved because they often won't grow back properly. Lloyd however doesn't really have much of an under coat at all. Or is that not something you can tell from a picture?

He is the black dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unfortunately that's something you wont know until you shave your dog.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
His coat looks similair to my Amy's. I shaved her maybe 3 months ago and it is taking forever to grow back, but I'm happy about that. Less to comb out, less hair to track in leaves and sticks and flowers and whatever else she finds in the yard.
Besides it taking a long time, the coat that has come back looks normal, and is growing back evenly.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
He should grow back just fine if he is healthy, and not shaved shorter than a 7F, and carded before and afterwards to remove any dead coat that may plug the follicles. He is going to be hard to get a smooth finish on though, so I would recommend a 4F backwards, or ideally, an attachment. I think he would look nice in a #4 wahl stainless steel att. length.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He should grow back just fine if he is healthy, and not shaved shorter than a 7F, and carded before and afterwards to remove any dead coat that may plug the follicles. He is going to be hard to get a smooth finish on though, so I would recommend a 4F backwards, or ideally, an attachment. I think he would look nice in a #4 wahl stainless steel att. length.
Thank you. I've been so busy lately it would be nice to have less maintenance to do on his coat (less brushing), so I was thinking of taking him to a groomer and having him shaved. This will also make it easier after going to the park (not having to spend forever getting stuff out of his coat). I will ask her to do this.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I agree with Graco's post...make sure they card him; or do it yourself once you get home. Getting rid of the shedding undercoat helps alot in aiding the coat to come back in properly.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am constantly removing the dead coat, it seems like I never make a dent, or as soon as I do its back. Its very frustrating, I'm going to pay a groomer to do it because I must be doing it wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts