Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and by baby I mean my 2 yr old PRT Beemer- not a human baby! :eek:

So Beemer's extreme reaction to Frontline concerns me- my husband puts it on his back and Beemer lays very very still with his ears back, then he climbs up next to me and pushes against me like he can't get close enough, and trembles. this continues for at least 2 hours, sometimes more. then he becomes normal again, albeit subdued.

He has no health reactions, per se. but i don't like how bothered he is by it...

what do you all think?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A couple of my cats freak out when I put Frontline on them. I think it stings from the alcohol. Although 2 hours seems like a long time for the sting to continue :confused: . Ask your vet; and you might want to consider switching to another brand of flea control.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It's a toxic pesticide, so... it's not exactly 'healthy'. Most dogs do not have issues with it, but it's not good to overdo it unless you have a real seasonal flea problem in your area.

If your dog is having this reaction to it (which isn't normal, imo) I'd look into an alternative product.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a toxic pesticide, so... it's not exactly 'healthy'. Most dogs do not have issues with it, but it's not good to overdo it unless you have a real seasonal flea problem in your area.

If your dog is having this reaction to it (which isn't normal, imo) I'd look into an alternative product.
yikes. any recommendations on an alternative? we live near trees and deer ticks are a problem here, so is lyme disease. he's never had a problem but he's been treated his whole life, we check him daily for ticks and bathe him regulary and have never seen fleas...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
There are some brands that use milder chemicals, like 'Adams', Breakthru!, Capstar... the website I linked to in my post above, GreenPaws, lists many brands and what chemicals they use.

All flea control products are pesticides, you just need to be sure what's in them, what reactions those chemicals can cause, and how often you really need to use them.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
My dog Mac had a noticeable physical reaction to Frontline. When I would put it on him, he would freak out and run around..I could tell it wasn't pleasant on his skin. Now, if I even bring out the box..he freaks. I switched to Advantage. It seems to be better for mac as he doesn't have the same reaction, no reaction actually.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hm, that's acutally kind of disturbing. I wonder how many dogs on average have a bad reaction to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts