Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On weekdays its always 6:30ish AM, and 5:00 ish PM. On weekends its all skewed. Somtimes its 8, 9, 10 AM, and 4, 5, 6 PM.

Will this create issues?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
No. It might even prevent issues with your dog nagging if you're late. I keep the puppy on a feeding schedule so I can predict her potty habits. Otherwise, I feed at some rough estimation of time and am done with it.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
No. It might even prevent issues with your dog nagging if you're late. I keep the puppy on a feeding schedule so I can predict her potty habits. Otherwise, I feed at some rough estimation of time and am done with it.
Agreed.

I stick to a schedule when I can (more for me than the dog), but I don't worry if it's an hour or two off some days.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I don't always eat at the exact same times either.. and I don't have issues from it (just a little more hungry sometimes!). Sometimes I'm later or even earlier to feed my dog, and no issues have come of it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bennie's not really on a schedule at all, and she totally doesn't mind. She's eaten her first meal anytime between 8 am - 3 pm and her last meal anytime between 7 pm - 11:30 pm. My sleep schedule can be terrible, especially since it's summer time, and I think it's gotten her used to it so she's never begging for her meals or anything.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Are you asking me or Kabota? :)

During the week, it's 6:30am and 7:30pm. On the weekend/days off, it's 7:00 am and anywhere between 3:30 and 7:30pm, depending upon what we're doing and when we're going out and coming back. Personally, I think it's more important to have a routine of number of walks/feedings rather than exact times. I do keep the first walk/feeding within an hour of the usual time because I don't want to have Kabota waking up at the usual time, not being able to hold it, and then peeing on the floor.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Varied feeding times can sometimes help prevent hunger pukes...vomiting bile due to anticipating a meal that has not been served. Since Buster has a tendency to vomit, I very rarely feed at the same time 2 days in a row. Breakfast is anytime between 6 and about 10am, dinner is anywhere from 8-11pm. Even if Im later, he doesnt ever bug me about meals.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Our feeding times are always the same. 5:00 and 5:00. Dixie rarely misses it by more than 10 minutes before she starts driving me nuts. Varying the time might indeed be helpful.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I feed depending on my work schedule. First meal can be anywhere from 8:30am to 12:00 or later. Dinner can be anywhere from 5:00-8:00pm or later.
Basically if I'm sleeping, I'm sleeping and I'm not getting up early for anyone or anything. Especially not just to feed the dog.
He will usually sleep as long as I sleep unless he gets up and really has to pee in which case he will wake me between 10-11am. I'll let him out and put his kibble down and go back to bed. He will usually follow me back to bed without eating until I get up and going. We do everything together. We play together, eat together and be lazy together.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Feeding here varies... always has... some days he doesn't get breakfast until as late as noon, and dinner until as late as 10.
Amount varies as well, on a regular hum-ho day he gets 1/2 cup in the AM, 1/2 cup in the PM. On a day where we're busy and moving a lot, doing agility work, big walks, lot's of running, he gets 1/2 cup in the AM and 1 cup in the PM.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
We do breakfast at 7:30-ish consistently through the week, dinner between 7 and 9 depending on what we're doing that day. Weekends are more flexible and breakfast can be as late as 10 and dinner as late at 10-11. Ideally I like to do dinner at 9 for training purposes, because that's when the cats eat.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We do breakfast after the morning walk (between 8 am and 10 am), and then dinner at "dinner time" (usually between 6 pm and 8 pm). Sometimes his dinner is late, sometimes his breakfast is early... we haven't noticed any effects other than he looks extra sad if his meal is late.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
My dogs get fed an journal or so after I get up; I don't work so I get up anywhere between 5-6:30 am. For the second meal, it's usually around 4 pm but that can change if we're out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nope. My two get fed at all random times. Sometimes 5am, sometimes 8am, sometimes noon or 3pm... I like to vary it so they don't learn to expect it at an exact time.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I work 11 to 7 during the week. I feed Jasper breakfast but my mom feeds him dinner (I drop him off at her house each morning so he doesn't have to be crated.) So Jasper is fed at 10am, and 6pm. On the weekends I feed him at 10am, and the evening meal is anywhere from 5pm to 8pm.

I don't believe it matters about having a set schedule unless your raising a young pup. I have exact set times when I have pups in the house, that way I can monitor potty training better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts