Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been raining here and my puppy is going stir crazy. Last night we tried using a laser light on the floor to see what Lilly would do. She went NUTS! It was a great workout for her and after about 10 minutes she fell asleep and slept through the night. We were very careful not to shine it in her eyes. I did a search and there seems to be alot of mixed opinions. We are looking at more rain today so I will be looking for ways to keep her busy.

What do you think of laser play? TIA:)

BTW-Lilly HATES her new raincoat! :( Back to the store it goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use a laser light for my cat, birds and dog! They are perfectly safe, just don't shin it into their eyes!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Toby doesn't care about them. My sister uses one for her dog ocassionaly and she tried it w/ Toby and he just looked at her like she was dumb. :)

And no offense to whomever bought that raincoat, but I can't blame your dog for hating it!!!

·
Banned
617 Posts
I wouldn't use it. A lot of dogs go crazy (in the head) when you do. After a while it will always be looking for that light. Everything small like that it sees it will go after. Every time it sees something out of the corner of it's eye it will jump for it. When it is sitting around bored it will be on the hunt for it.

The other problem, it is something it cant catch. It is constantly chasing something for no reward. This is why it will always hunt for it. It will drive the dog insane and it will be hard to break him of that when you're finished using the laser.
Dont use it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I wouldn't use it with a dog that has a high prey/chase drive. It will very likely develop obsessive behavior that would be extremely difficult to break. It's a pretty mean thing to do to a dog, actually. It might be okay to use with a dog that doesn't ever get too excited about anything, but I'd still proceed with caution.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There was an episode of The Dog Whisperer a few days ago (no, I don't like the guy) with a dog that had developed problems from his owners playing with him with a laser light. That dog could in no way be happy, he was constantly looking for that light and even when they want on walks he couldn't relax enough. He was always searching.

My friend's dog is obsessed with lights too, they adopted him when he was 9 months old, so they're not the ones that played with him like this... but I can only guess that his previous owners played with laser lights. He'll run into walls if that's where the light goes, he'll chase them around or just sit and stare if it's not moving. It's like his mind is totally somewhere else when he sees lights (or even shadows), we were at the dog park at night once, and someone was walking with a flashlight, and he was off and following that person because of the light.

I'm sure not all dogs are damaged from it, but I'd certainly never use one to play with my dogs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate...

My parents have a SCWT that loves to chase the flashlight beam. We only play with it occasionally (maybe once every few weeks) but she has never developed any problems or obsessions.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My dogs just don't care. We used it with the cats but lost it. The cats were already insane though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use one with my pup every once in awhile. But I also whatched the episode of the Dog Wisper and that makes me nervous to use it all the time bc my pup gets obsessed with it as well and will look for it for 20 mins after we are done. Needless to say now he gets excited when he sees any lights so we hardly ever use it any more...Just once in a while

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate...
It's true that some dogs don't develop obsessions about lights. On the other side of the coin, my Rott puppy was well on his way to doing so before laser pointers were readily available. As a pup he became fixated on the reflection from a cup of tea or a glass of water placed in the sun. If the reflection shimmered on a wall, he might climb on the back of the couch and claw at it and bark like mad. This was, of course, totally unacceptable, and we worked on it before he demolished the house.

My rule is: if the dog is interested enough to chase the laser beam, stick the unit right back in your pocket and keep it there. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I use one with my pup every once in awhile. But I also whatched the episode of the Dog Wisper and that makes me nervous to use it all the time bc my pup gets obsessed with it as well and will look for it for 20 mins after we are done. Needless to say now he gets excited when he sees any lights so we hardly ever use it any more...Just once in a while
If you're worried he's developing an obsession and it makes you nervous, why are you still using it at all? That doesn't make sense. Find a new game!

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you're worried he's developing an obsession and it makes you nervous, why are you still using it at all? That doesn't make sense. Find a new game!
Like i said i hardly ever use it...like once a month...and he was obsessed with lights long before we got the laser pointer!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Like i said i hardly ever use it...like once a month...and he was obsessed with lights long before we got the laser pointer!
That doesn't explain why you'd still do it. I think that seems kinda weird. If he's obsessed with lights and you know it, and knowing that plenty of dogs have had problems with it, you still want to use it? Why? It doesn't matter if it's once a year, why are you doing it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
That doesn't explain why you'd still do it. I think that seems kinda weird. If he's obsessed with lights and you know it, and knowing that plenty of dogs have had problems with it, you still want to use it? Why? It doesn't matter if it's once a year, why are you doing it?
Dont judge me!!! I haven't used it since I saw the episode on Dog Wisperer a couple of days ago and probably wont seeing what it did to that dog!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dog loves it but I haven't played with her much with it. She hasn't seemed to develop any issues about it (but I haven't used it much with her and I keep getting hte luck that the ones I buy die quickly, never got around to buying another).

The cats you can only play with so long before they realize they can't catch it and will get bored and refuse to chase it anymore (You have to give them some time, like a month or so, to forget and then they will get re interested). I always figured a dog would be the same way. Guess cats just don't have as long attention span ;).

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Some dogs have been developed OCD behaviors from laser lights. So I would think twice about using one with your dog.
I totally agree with this. And by the way, you won't KNOW your dog is obsessed until it's too late. Kody pulled a drawer out of the cabinets and moved his nose around so much it BLED looking for the laser after my ex played with it for 10 minutes.

I was at the DP the other day and a lady broke out a laser pointer and started making ALL the dogs chase it. They were ALL going crazy. I left. First of all- 15 dogs chasing ONE thing that they ALL want... how STUPID can she be? Second of all, how dare she assume I want MY dog chasing a light he will never catch? I hate being so nonconfrontational... what would you say to someone at the DP that has one politely?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't use it. A lot of dogs go crazy (in the head) when you do. After a while it will always be looking for that light. Everything small like that it sees it will go after. Every time it sees something out of the corner of it's eye it will jump for it. When it is sitting around bored it will be on the hunt for it.

The other problem, it is something it cant catch. It is constantly chasing something for no reward. This is why it will always hunt for it. It will drive the dog insane and it will be hard to break him of that when you're finished using the laser.
Dont use it.
I had one and do not use it anymore... it does seem to give them some mental issues!!! I've had the same experience with my dog as chrisn66104 mentioned above.
I would NOT recommend it at all!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
An alternative to the laser light is bubbles! My dog LOVES when I blow bubbles for him. It's a good workout for him too. I have not heard anything about bubbles causing OCD behavior, have any of you???

The only issue with bubbles that I have found is that a very enthusiastic dog can bite at the bubbles and you have to keep your fingers away from the bubbles and the dog's mouth :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts