Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been running now on the streets in Nassau County, Long Island. We started two/three weeks ago at 20 minutes and we did 30 minutes today with a 3-4 minute sprint at the end. I was sweating and puffing and the pooch was fine. She was looking at me like "what, thats it". Dusty is a young pit-bull mix 50lbs.....

So the question is what do you all do when running? How long? Where? What type of dog, what type of lead/length, etc.

One tid-bit that I would like to share: To make it interesting I slow down when there are objects such as trees, poles, etc. in a row along the median. I will run inbetween them saying "watch me/follow me" while making figure eights and then doing it backwards. This exercise really helps with her paying attention.

The neighbors think im nuts.......

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Ha, if your neighbors really knew.

3 miles is about the limit for Elsa. Not that she can't run further...she loses interest if we go much longer. So I only take her along for my warm-up.

I think it is great you're fitting in attention training. My running with Elsa is mostly for her, so I plan stops at her favorite places to leave pee mail.

The leash I use is the same leash I use on our walks. It has a bungee cord built in, so it offers some flexibility in length. Every dog is different though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My stepson runs with Bella and he does 6 miles every other day. Bella usually comes home drinks water and then dies for a few hours :D

Andromeda is dealing with me getting into shape. We do a 3 mile run, walk. She is nice and tired afterwards but I know that she could go longer.

And we use our normal leashes. They are 5 foot nylon i think

ETA: the puppies are boxer mom and lab/pit dad mixes ( and yes i know that they are not puppies anymore but in our house it will always be Lady and the puppies lol)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I run with my dog :) I've been building up with her, right now she goes with me up to 4 miles. She is a small dog but has lots of energy! She outruns me every time, she is never as tired as I am at the end LOL I have a 5K this weekend and after that I am training for a half marathon....Lucy being so small (9 lbs) I'm not sure if it's good to take her on the really long runs ?? Anybody have any insight on that? She has tooons of energy, and still plays and is active after our 3 or 4 mile runs.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Every single day. Sometimes Bubba and Tambi won't get out of bed so it's just me and sleds. That usually happens one day every two weeks or so. We cover a minimum of five miles with six to eight being the norm. The first half mile is warm up, stretching and sniffing/marking all things vertical. After that, it's a non stop run with 90 second sprints thrown in here and there. Now that it's 50°+ at 5:00 AM, our distance and intensity will start decreasing. As far as load, we don't really "run" with weight, I try to match their trotting speed. The sled dogs carry about 15 lbs, Bubba carries his five pound barrel and I carry 25 lbs in a backpack. We use harnesses and typical six foot nylon leashes.

Our runs are usually through town meandering around side streets and bike paths. About twice a week we take off on the county dirt roads for some quiet time. The next few weekends will be altitude adjustment work as we prepare for a 14'er hike at the end of June.

(Tambi is 4.5 lbs/6 inches at best. She has more than enough stamina to go our longest runs. Last year I was wary of taking her hiking, but now that the group can maneuver smoothly I will take her on at least one 14'er this summer.)

ETA: The downside is tearing through shoes. I have even upgraded to trail running shoes with support for my stance. Still, 45-60 days is all I can get out of a pair of shoes. It's getting a little pricey, if anyone knows of some kevlar or space shuttle heat tile shoes...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I run with my two beagles. Our max is 4 miles; they are getting into the double digits of age and can't really go more than that.

We run either around the cemetery close to my house or nearby housing estates; in both places it gets pretty hilly. I use standard nylon leashes that are about... 3-4 feet long, as an estimate?

I've found that it helps to teach "left" and "right", especially when running around urban areas. It gets annoying when your dog passes a streetlamp on a different side from you and you have to stop and go round or ask her to come round. Now, when we are approaching a streetlamp or some other obstruction I can cue them "left" and we will all go round on the left side together.

Lucyloo, if Lucy is doing well on the long runs I see no reason why you should make her stop. Keep an eye on her energy levels, the colour of her gums and tongue, her panting and her drooling levels. If she seems happy and willing to run on, then she should be fine.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Can't run but I hike with Kramer who is an American bulldog, we go five miles a day with no leash. I do take one with me in case I run into a problem and need it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The neighbors think im nuts.......
Dont worry mine think I am too, as I do the same type of stuff with Blaze (as in figure 8's, weave through stuff lol)

I dont run/job with blaze,as lets face it Im lousy at being athletic (give me a 3 hour hike with a few breaks and Im alright to go but running, no way). But my brother who is very athletic runs with Blaze a few times a week for me, they do about 5KM. Blaze is older at age 6 though.

Only thing I would be worried about is running to long on hard surfaces such as sidewalks and roads. on a young puppy, not sure of Dustys age

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks rosemaryninja! I will keep an eye on her, we will be increasing the miles slowly (for my sake LOL) so hopefully she can increase her stamina along with mine.

It's good to see somebody running long runs with a small dog, harrise! Lucy is bigger than your Tambi, she is about 9.5 lbs and 11 inches. As for shoes, I log how many miles I run and after 400 miles I replace my shoes. That's about an average number I found on a running site. Some people go less, some go more, depending on your stride and style, terrain, etc...

I live in a rural area so all my running is down dirt roads. I find it better on my legs than pavement anyways, so I'm sure it's better for Lucy too.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Heh, I've gotten many a roadside lecture about how she has to take twice as many steps to keep up and blah, blah, blah. Some people are amazed (one guy around here with a silky has taken up daily walks I noticed), but most people act genuinely concerned for her well being. Even after explaining how much time and analytical effort I have put into conditioning my gang, they still look at me like I'm waterboarding a puppy. Oh well, I do it for them and not for anyone else (not even myself). If I didn't have dogs I would be on the couch watching car shows all day and gaining pounds monthly. I owe a lot to these guys...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Heh, I've gotten many a roadside lecture about how she has to take twice as many steps to keep up and blah, blah, blah. Some people are amazed (one guy around here with a silky has taken up daily walks I noticed), but most people act genuinely concerned for her well being. Even after explaining how much time and analytical effort I have put into conditioning my gang, they still look at me like I'm waterboarding a puppy. Oh well, I do it for them and not for anyone else (not even myself). If I didn't have dogs I would be on the couch watching car shows all day and gaining pounds monthly. I owe a lot to these guys...
LOL I've gotten that too! A few my friends were quite concerned that I would run with Lucy at all, but now that they see how high energy she is and how healthy she is they aren't so adverse LOL And yes, Lucy built up to running 4 miles over months, it's not like I took a couch potato dog and ran 4 miles with it the first time out LOL

My animals keep me active too! They say getting a dog is great for your health LOL

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
My dog(approx. 50-60 lb APBT) isn't conditioned yet, so he gets tired after about an hour of either jogging/skateboarding with me. We usually stick to the new bike path the state made, or we run in the woods(which can cause a problem if we run in to moose haha)

I just use a regular leash, but he wears his Gentle leader as he's still in the process of learning not to drag me down the street. After about 20 minutes I switch to his regular collar when he has burned off some excitement energy and doesn't focus on pulling me.

I stop often to do focus commands and training. I'm trying to teach him to pay attention to me during walks, so randomly I'll change direction and walk in circles, causing me to get dizzy and having to sit down haha..I'm pretty sure the people driving by think I'm nuts.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hunter and I go for about 4 miles, two different routes with some added twist if I get bored of the scenery.

There are no stops, peeing and pooping is done before workout time.

We usually start out walking, then have jogging and walking intervals. Then when its the homestretch, we tend to have a running race just to get rid of the last of our strength; then we plop down in the air condition and enjoy dinner/a nice bone treat. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I run/walk with my siberian husky or klee kai for about 3 miles. When we get home, they drink a little water. After that they still run and play in the house. My cousin's dog can only jog like 10mins. Just a cheap 6ft lead. :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I run/jog/bike with mine. How long, ect depends on the dog, as they range from young to old mostly APBTs. I just use normal leads, the length 4-6ft. We go a variety of places whether it is down the road or take a trip somewhere else for a change of scenery.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
By the way, how old is Dusty? She shouldn't be doing any extended running till she is about 1 to 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Libby and I started running together this spring, as she was finally old enough and had the leash manners I desired. We started really slow, as I hadn't done any running since High School (when I used to run hardcore). We started really gradually, doing about 10 minutes of running at first, and working our way up in time and speed.

I take her normal 6' leash and loop it around my waist, passing the clip part through the handle and then clipping it to her normal collar. That way I don't have to hold the leash in my hand while we run. It works great!

Two weeks ago I somehow pulled a muscle in my hip, and I have no idea how I did it. I can't run while it heals :( (I can barely walk, let alone run!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, I'm not really into running but I noticed the walks just weren't cutting it for the pooch so I've taken up biking with him *smiles*... at least this way I can sit down *LOL. Really though it is a good workout for me and I can really focus on getting the pace just right for him. I use a 6 foot leash that gets wrapped around my waist, I need that extra length so he didn't have to be too close to the pedals and wheels but it's also too short for him to get in front of the wheels. Also he wears a gentle leader so if he does want to say hello to other dogs all of a sudden it doesn't jolt the handlebars and my waist and speed keep us going staright. As for distance I don't really measure, usually we go for 15-20 minutes and he gets a water break then we turn around and head home for another 15-20.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sometimes jog with my Yorkshire Terrier, but when i do i just jog 5 minutes or so :p
I cant jog long because of my feet:confused:
But my doggies love it, i try to bicycle instead of joging.
Fido loves it when we bycycle together!

(Excuse my bad english!)

I sometimes jog with my Yorkshire Terrier, but when i do i just jog 5 minutes or so :p
I cant jog long because of my feet:confused:
But my doggies love it, i try to bicycle instead of joging.
Fido loves it when we bycycle together!

(Excuse my bad english!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts