Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

She's a 6 and a half lb chihuahua/min pin mix. I'm wanting to get her on a completely homemade diet, because she has allergies to regular kibble (or at least all the one's I've tried) and she has a sensitive stomach in general. I feel she'd be a lot healthier on homemade food.

I've been researching homemade diets, but it seems pretty complicated.

Does anyone know of any good homemade recipes for her? Supplements too?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I went the long route. Got a book with the NRC numbers to calculate, learned how to make up recipes using information from USDA numbers. I started out learning from reading at dogaware.com. She lists some books that have reliable information as well as general guidelines. I was feeding a kidney dog right when the horrible melamine contamination was going on. Put both dogs on cooked food thinking they would drop dead due to malnutrition. They were extremely happy with the change in diet and thrived.

Much easier is to buy a recipe and powder from Balance IT. I'd go there first. Seems you choose a protein and carb, cooked or raw and mix in the powder as directed. You can play with it for free too. There are other mix ins but Balance It was designed by qualified people from UC Davis and can work with your vet.

My first dog didn't exactly have a delicate gut but it was a pain to transition kibble brands. On cooked food I easily put her on new proteins and carbs then was able to give her different meals every day. Since she had a special diet it only amounted to a small amount mixed into her standard chicken and rice but I was surprised that it went so well when switching kibble was so hard for her. She also had life long anal sac blockages that went away on freshly cooked food. That can be due to allergy.

Warning. It is extremely easy to overfeed fresh food. My 35 pound heart dog couldn't possibly live on the 12 ounces a day he actually needed so he got more and ended up super fat - his fluff hid the damage. It's likely your little thing only needs 3-4 ounces a day. Keep your hands on her weekly and cut back or feed more depending on her body condition!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts