Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and if so, have you found a food that seems to help with them?

I'm pretty sure my guys issues are partly seasonal, but intensified by food choices, as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Lars will get hot spots in the fall because he has a ragweed allergy. Antihistamines helped out greatly with those.

He does have some food sensitivities...there's something in small vanilla ice cream cups that make him get hot spots. When we stopped the ice cream as a once in a while treat, the hot spots went away. He's sensitive to beef and pork...but it doesn't make him get hot spots.

I tend to use either plain listerine or Pet Vet's Best hot spot spray. Listerine seems to edge out the spray on the amount of time it takes to dry out a spot.

Good luck, hot spots suck. :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
One of my chihuahuas has terrible seasonal and food allergies. I have definitely found that getting his food allergies under control has helped curb the seasonal allergies. I'm not sure what it is about dry food but every dry food (other than NVI LID)we have ever tried with him has made him get hot spots and lick his feet. Once I took him off dry food all his allergies improved. Now he eats mostly The Honest Kitchen and Ziwipeak. Getting rid of all potato in his food also helped :) My mom's GSD also gets terrible hot spots and they have improved with THK and Salmon oil.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my chihuahuas has terrible seasonal and food allergies. I have definitely found that getting his food allergies under control has helped curb the seasonal allergies. I'm not sure what it is about dry food but every dry food (other than NVI LID)we have ever tried with him has made him get hot spots and lick his feet. Once I took him off dry food all his allergies improved. Now he eats mostly The Honest Kitchen and Ziwipeak. Getting rid of all potato in his food also helped :) My mom's GSD also gets terrible hot spots and they have improved with THK and Salmon oil.
Thank you TinyTails!! :) Potatoes is a big culprit for him--and I believe chicken is as well.

I've now got him on a salmon/rice based diet--so we'll see how he does on it. Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If it's your golden, I was going to say chicken and grains. :)

Raw food would help a lot, as would making sure when he's groomed they thin out any offending areas, RINSE extra extra extra times and use the blow drier or a windy/warm day so he dries quickly. For shampoo use something gentle and mix it with vinegar. And bath every time they go swimming in the lake/river/pond where bacteria is going to be coming into play.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's your golden, I was going to say chicken and grains. :)

Raw food would help a lot, as would making sure when he's groomed they thin out any offending areas, RINSE extra extra extra times and use the blow drier or a windy/warm day so he dries quickly. For shampoo use something gentle and mix it with vinegar. And bath every time they go swimming in the lake/river/pond where bacteria is going to be coming into play.
Yes, my beloved golden! lol. ;)

Thank you very much for the input! Will definitely take all of it down! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts