Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a trip to the dog park today and it was alarming how almost every person there got walked to the gate by their dog. :eek:

I know I know, dog parks are bad places... But I do like my dog to be social.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I don't let my dog drag me somewhere no, but if we are out casually then sure - I'll walk where she wants to go. I think there's a balance. No one needs their arm ripped out of it's socket by an over zealous dog, but I don't mind (usually) detouring from a chosen path if something of interest comes by. The key is having enough control over your dog (ie. giving it proper training) so that if you decide no we are NOT going that way...there are no complaints.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sometimes I will let Zoey lead. Not on side walks or anywhere where our objective is to MOVE do I let her lead, but when we are at parks and large open area's I let her lead me where she wants to.. I've got no reason not to let her do it there.. there's never any other people there, and the only reason we're at the park in the first place is to let her have some fun :)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I don't let Alvin drag me, but I certainly allow him to walk ahead of me. I'm going to be especially understanding of some enthusiasm when we're at an exciting place like the dog park. We both know we're going to the entrance gate...who cares if he gets to it a nose-length ahead of me?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
As long as my dogs don't pull, I could careless if they follow or walk ahead of me unless I specify otherwise.

Blinkette...Zoey is just too cute! :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Smalls, no. She's extremely reactive and our walks are work time, too. If I give her an inch, she'll take a mile and I'll end up face planting.
Jack and Jonas? We let them do whatever they want. Which consists of ambling along slowly, sometimes moving ahead to smell things. They've never rushed/pulled on the leash.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will allow my dog to walk ahead of me as long as the lead is hanging loose and there is no pulling the minute they pull on the lead they lose that privilige and have to stay by me in heal.I should say that they rarely pull the lead,it usally happens when they see a dog and want to play and get overly excited so the heal helps them to focus on me.I can count on my hands the times they have pulled the lead.

·
Registered
63 Posts
when it comes to my dogs, since i have a Thunderweighing in at 80lbs, he does, and always will forever go ahead of me, it is good for him to lead me where he wants to go, then i have Cinni who weighs in at 30-35lbs, together they weigh about 40lbs less than i do.. so, you can imagine who walks who.. I dont care if the pull or not, because it will only last about the first 30 min of the 1 hour walk then, they relax and they let me lead them ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I do not let my dogs walk me. I walk them. I have a leash that has a handle on it where you can slide it up and down, plus it has grippers on it. So I use it real close when I walk my Akita.

After 20 minutes of walking and they have walked good without trying to run off I let them go on the leash let them sniff around then back to walking.

You have to be consistent with the dog. Yes, I know it is hard sometimes yet I want to be in control walking my dogs. I do not let anyone pet my Akita when I am walking him. He is so loveable and I don't want everyone in their brother petting him, because he would go to anyone. I want to keep my dog. When people ask if I can pet your dog I tell sorry but no. Now when I am walking my black lab/german shepard mix then yes. She weighs 42 lbs and she is just sooo loveable that she rolls over for men and pee's for them right on the spot...lol. I cannot get her to quit that.

Anyways I hope my response helped you. I am not for sure if it did.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually have my dog behind me on the leash. Even off-leash she heels behind, until we get somewhere that is a designated play area.

My main point of the question was dogs dragging and pulling their humans I guess. I just scares me when someones dog is pulling them into the dog park and they have no apparent control over them. Perfect example, a dog that pulled his owner into the park today ended up biting another dog. Nothing major, but they had to leave.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Unfortunately, that happens a lot in most dog parks. Lots of people, who have no business bringing their dogs, bring them anyway, with sometimes disastrous results. But I don't really think that a pulling dog is always going to be aggressive.

I make my dogs walk BESIDE me on sidewalks and pavement, on the way to our destination (usually an open field). Once we get there, I use a cue word to release them and then they're allowed the full extent of the leash, as long as they're not pulling.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I don't let Basil pull, but about half of the time he is about a foot or two in front of me, while the other half he's at my side. Just so long as he's paying attention and not dictating where we go, I let him walk up front. He's also pretty good at letting me pull him to the side if someone else is on the path, I don't want to be rude if someone doesn't want my dog messing with them :)

Also I don't understand why people dislike dog parks! Not everyone's got a big yard to let their dog run in, and it's a great way to socialize (both your dog and yourself!) just so long as everyone obeys the rules :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is definitely a difference between being pulled constantly due to lack of control, and permitting them to have some free roaming time. As soon as my dog pulls, he also loses the free roam privilege.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Elka almost always ranges out in front of me. She forgets sometimes and pulls and then we have a small training session and back at it. I have no problem with the dog being in front as long as I'm not having to constantly "manage" them. I want the walk to be enjoyable for both of us. =)

Any place crowded, or crossing streets, or on the sidewalk of a busy road, she's next to me for her own safety.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My dogs all know how to heel on a very loose leash. That said, there are always those times when they see something I do not and I have been known to go flying for a second until I can get out the command "heel" or "leave it!" lol

I would NOT let my dogs pull me up to the gate of a dog park.

·
Banned
352 Posts
My wife lets her dog lead her everywhere, all the time.

Of course, she is blind and the dog is her Guide, so I guess it is the proper thing to do. But never to a dog park.

I hope I caused some smiles today.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sure - she has a better nose than I do! She's not allowed to pull but as long as she's generally moving in the same direction I am, she can lead, follow, pace me - whatever. She does have to walk beside me when we're in training mode, which is about 10-15% of the walk. But otherwise, she goes where she wants.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I normally let her walk where she wants to.However I keep a tight grip on the leash. In open areas,I walk with a six foot leash. In crowded areas,like the park near my house,I use a one that is 18 inches.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, that happens a lot in most dog parks. Lots of people, who have no business bringing their dogs, bring them anyway, with sometimes disastrous results. But I don't really think that a pulling dog is always going to be aggressive.

I make my dogs walk BESIDE me on sidewalks and pavement, on the way to our destination (usually an open field). Once we get there, I use a cue word to release them and then they're allowed the full extent of the leash, as long as they're not pulling.
No probably not, but for me, it's the first sign that the dog might be a biter.

There was also another couple there with a young untrained pit :mad: They just stood on the concrete the whole time while there pit ran wild around the dog park.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts