Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the shelters in my area for a dog that would be a good fit for me and my apartment. The apartment manager(s) are fine with any dog, but would prefer if they were already or mostly trained (pretty much no barking), due to mostly students living in my complex. One of the shelters just added a Catahoula Leopard mix dog and their description of him makes him seem like he'd be a good fit.

"Hello! My name is Gump. I am approximately a 7 1/2 year old neutered male Catahoula Leopard mix and I weigh just about 56 pounds. I was recently surrendered to the shelter because my owners could no longer have me as they have developed allergy issues. I am sweet fun loving guy who gets along well with most other dogs, cats, and even kids too! I am very well mannered and I even know most basic commands. If you are searching for a big sweet handsome guy to complete your family..look no further I'm sure I'd be the perfect pet for you!"

I'm not very familiar with this breed and have no experience with them, so I was hoping for opinions (and maybe advice) from anyone who is? If he's still in the shelter Friday (maybe Thursday) I plan to go down and check him out.

I'm also a pretty outdoorsy person. I love hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities. I read a bit about this breed and it seems like they're a good fit for these types of activities. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I trained with a woman who had two well bred houlas. Both were drivey, but seemed calm and reserved most of the time. Self-contained, not goofy expressive dogs around strangers. Her male was very protective and could be hard to manage. Both super athletic dogs who could do anything.

With a rescue, I'd look at the individual dog more than the breed. Not all dogs act like the generic description of the breed.

He's also 7.5 years old, and at that age he should be settled and calm which would be good in an apartment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I own two Leopard Dogs. They are great dogs, generally calm and extremely cuddly. They do have a higher prey-drive, since they are hounds, but both of my girls respond well to a recall even when they're on the scent of something. Both had to be taught not to chase our cats. Super loyal dogs. With it being a mix I would just look at the dog as an individual, not as a breed.

These are very versatile dogs athletically. Both of my girls can lay on a couch most of the day or hike for hours at a time. My 6 year old girl can run for what seems like miles.

Either way, be prepared to be hooked!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts